Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Chris P is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission question

While this may sound like a noob question, I need a little clarification. My Aston is a 2006 DB9 sport shift 6 speed. As far as I know it's an automatic gearbox (like a hydramatic) not an F1 style automated manual. I keep hearing about e-clutch, is this another term for a torque converter? There's so little information about these cars anywhere and dealers are not very forthcoming with information on maintenance questions. My main reason for asking is what kind of maintenance the sport shift requires and where can I find that information (i.e. fluid types, change intervals, basic maintenance, diagnostic repair procedures, etc.)

Old 08-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Former Vendor
HCF Autosport is an unknown quantity at this point
Chris,
The Graziano in your Aston is an automated manual. As for fluids, I would inquire with the dealer. I believe the MT and AMT gearboxes use different fluids - the release bearing for each is different, as a result.
Best,
John

Old 08-05-2018, 02:18 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
You don't have a Sportshift. DB9 automatics use a ‎6-speed ZF 6HP26 (Touchtronic) transmission.

Fluid change is about the only maintenance you can do.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor
HCF Autosport is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by yvr
You don't have a Sportshift. DB9 automatics use a ‎6-speed ZF 6HP26 (Touchtronic) transmission.

Thanks for that catch - I saw sportshift and assumed Graziano!

Old 08-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by yvr

Just for clarification, My trans is a full automatic with a torque converter and is not an automated manual like in a Ferrari, right?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:19 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Yes, your trans is a full automatic with a torque converter.

No clutch. Not an automated manual. Not a Sportshift.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by yvr
Yes, your trans is a full automatic with a torque converter.

No clutch. Not an automated manual. Not a Sportshift.
Thank you. You have no idea how much better that makes me feel. I've owned it for a year now and while its been a pretty good car the thought of having to go through another costly maintenance issue with my dealer makes me cringe.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:32 PM
yvr
I've had my 2006 DB9 for 7 years now and I'm closing in on 50K miles. No major issues, though coil packs & plugs is a major service when that comes up (at about 45K miles for me).

Bad luck for you with the valve spring, but generally these cars are pretty strong if properly maintained. Enjoy it!

Old 08-07-2018, 10:38 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
It feels different than a traditional auto trans due the transaxle layout.