Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Aston vs. Bentley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ That's sweet Wedgeduck! You have an asortment of nice bikes and Desmodici wow!!! You have Bostrom and Bayliss' bikes that's nutz bro! Talk about Provenance

def gotta hang out sometime...are you on FB? if so add me...'Sunir Ghosal' - I think I'm the only one on there w my name.
this might some stupid. What's FB? The Desmo I sold for a nice profit duh? Facebook. My company is on there I will PM you with the name of the company. I haven't done much on the FB pages yet. Too much trying to oversee and correct minor to major production problems that arises on a daily basis. Brother, I can literally start a reality show with more actual(not scripted) drama. I bet you we can probably beat out some of the motoring reality shows based on just pure drama. I guess that's what keeps me striving. I find it as a challenge and I like shaping nothing into something. Gotta make a dollar out of 15 cents ya know?

Last edited by Wedgeduck; 09-08-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:41 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
FB = my best short play in 2012... this side of NFLX short that was last year's best play of course. Don't worry, FB has further down to go as more and more (and more) shares are released.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 09-09-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
FB = my best short play in 2012... this side of NFLX short that was last year's best play of course. Don't worry, FB has further down to go as more and more (and more) shares are released.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Just don't short AAPL

Old 09-09-2012, 10:50 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
You folks (was gonna say guys but read on) are gonna hate me for this. I was also in the market of an Aston & CGT. I do not want another CAB so I went and drove them all. I am an "old" guy so I was leaning towards the Bentley. But after seeing them side by side outside a bar in Boston (BTW you NEED to see them side by side to make the decision) The Aston won hands down.

Why the comment in the first line of this post? After serious deliberation, I came to the conclusion why I did not want the CGT (for myself) IMHO it is more of a ladies car than a man's car. (OK I am gonna get it now) But seriously, it is a sports version of a sophisticated Bentley. It REALLY needs 4 doors, and again IMHO looks like a stubby version of the real thing. Take an example of a ladies car (Audi TT) Make it bigger more powerful and more luxurious and you end up with the CGT.

Take any other man's car, make it look better and stuff a honking great engine in it, and you end up with an Aston. And again Side by side, the Aston is just leaps and bounds ahead for looks and when you touch it it simply burns your fingers .

Realiability notwithstanding, who honestly cares when yo get into cars of this caliber? Kinda like fuel economy, absolutely meaningless. So the CGT is out now on the hunt for the perfect Aston.......

Sorry guys.... No offence meant.

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 09-09-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
IMHO it is more of a ladies car than a man's car.
You are absolutely right. For instance, I have had a beautiful blonde, at a gas station, ask me if she could look at my Bentley. I have had a lovely neighbor lady hail me down to exclaim "I want your car". Yesterday, as I drove past a group of high school girl car washers, they started jumping up and down, screaming and waving their signs. Yes, the ladies love the Bentley.

So, what is your point?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Grwisher
So, what is your point?
Exactly that! Now it would be a great car for my wife.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Ladies love the GTCs = Gentlemen getting alot of ***

Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Never thought of the CGT being gender-specific, but then again never thought of it as an extended Audi TT either.

I guess because it's a softer version of a sports cars in the way that the Ferrari California was designed for the ladies.

I usually have a strongly defined taste of what is a man/woman's car, and I thought the CGT was more masculine than not. Others cars have been easier to class, and a few years back my wife had an SLK when I had an SL500. Whenever I drove hers I definitely felt like a hairdresser

However Shokwave, I agree the Aston is a stunner no matter which way you look at it. Interesting that I've seen more woman drive the old DB7 now - maybe that's the new lady's Aston.

And of course we have Paris Hilton to blame for the CGT.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Remember folks this is just my opinion I am an "old" Englishman and used to the sedate expectations of the Bentley Azure and other such cars designed to be driven in not driven. They just IMHO seem to be more dignified. Again just my opinion. I can see how men like them as they are fast, agile even though they are as heavy as a small train. Hell it has a V12 Twin Turbo, whats not to like? Just not my cup of tea.

Funny I just this afternoon watched an episode of Top Gear, English version of course, and what was on there? A CGT S with carbon brakes. Jeremy had a lot of good things to say about it, but would not own one.

It and the Aston DBS were side by side on the set. He said if you had 160k POUNDS to spend on a car, and the choices were the CGT and the DBS, The DBS is the obvious choice. Yet another opinion of another old'ish Englishman.

Again, I do not mean to upset anyone, but the Paris Hilton comment IMHO sort of sums it up.

For the member that spoke about school girls ogling at his car, it is a good job he has a Bentley. He can fit a lot of them in it. Hopefully they would ignore the Aston for the Bentley. Just Kidding.....

Old 09-09-2012, 01:52 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Clarkson has always been an Aston enthusiast. I used to think he singlehandedly kept the brand alive - until I went to a motor show in Birmingham a few years back.

The new AM - I forget what model it was, a Volante of some sort - had just been announced and the stand was 20-deep right round all day. Took me 20 minutes to get to the front. I have never seen such interest in any car then and since.

As an either/or decision, yes, the Aston ticks all the boxes and I'm after a DB9 myself. But I'm still keeping the CGT, as brash as it is... it's that good a driving car for me.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by kensilver
Clarkson has always been an Aston enthusiast. I used to think he singlehandedly kept the brand alive - until I went to a motor show in Birmingham a few years back.

The new AM - I forget what model it was, a Volante of some sort - had just been announced and the stand was 20-deep right round all day. Took me 20 minutes to get to the front. I have never seen such interest in any car then and since.

As an either/or decision, yes, the Aston ticks all the boxes and I'm after a DB9 myself. But I'm still keeping the CGT, as brash as it is... it's that good a driving car for me.
Most definitely Ken. The Bentley GT is simply an amazing vehicle. She is very elegant for a big gal. The AWD actually helps out her handling. I can't not fanthom how she would be as a RWD. Probably a brick with the the Bentley emblem. I have a fairly tuned Bentley GT coupe, I love her. I am thinking of a new 2013 for my next project. Got to save my pennies daily. I love DB9 also, but I can always build my Bentley to the level that I want. And yes, she will outrun a lot of exotic vehicles on the straightaway.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
Ladies love the GTCs = Gentlemen getting alot of ***
Exactly Wedgeduck.

Sometimes I am too subtle and people like ShokWaveRider misinterpret my comments. Sometimes it takes a more direct approach, one that you never seem to lack. I have spent most of the afternoon pondering how I was to respond to ShokWaveRider's comment and get my message across in a civil fashion. You, with your natural economy of words did it better than I ever could have.

Thanks.

Up until now I have been reserved in my comments regarding the subject of this "Aston vs. Bentley" thread. But you Wedgeduck have emboldened my spirit and now I must come out of the closet, Bentley of course, and speak my mind. It is ridiculous to compare the two cars. They are both British (the AM more so in that shares the renowned reputation for reliability of all British automobiles) and high end but that is where the similarities end. You could do a reasonable comparison of Fords and Chevrolets, but not Astons and Bentleys. Those of you who know both cars know that everything else is not comparable so I won't go into the details.

I will backup my analysis with this statement: They are so different that I would be privileged to own both at the same time. It would provide two tremendous, but different, driving experiences. I just need more garage space. Wait a minute, perhaps this week I will go to a garage sale and buy a garage. Problem solved. Thanks again Wedgeduck.

Last edited by Grwisher; 09-09-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Both the Aston and the Bentley Gt are works of art. Two different driving experiences. One James Bondish, the other is just pure class with AWD. I love them both. But hands down, if you were a single lad out and about. A Bentley CGT will get more booty than Captain Morgan!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Well I love a lively read. So let's go.

If I was single I d' put a sticker on the back of the GTC, "***** Wagon". remember the Kill Bill Vol.2?

Apparently the car appeals to men and women and I am ok with that. I too believe there are some cars that are feminine. The Mazda Miata is the king(queen) of the pack, BUT more men drive them than women. So it must be that the descision to call a car a ladies car is quite individual. I have taken no offense. My wife had seen a cream colored coupe and loved it and liked the Aston V8V until she drove it and then hated it. In general if the car is very small then it will not appeal to me and the GT is large enough to fit me and not look like a male in a chic car. The average male is larger than the female and therefore needs to have a car that is proportionate looking. We have a saying around her when a large man is riding a small horse he is referred to as a man humping a football.

I see it like this, there a few male actors that are so handsome that they are admired by men and women. Even a straight man has to admit that George Clooney is a good looking man but does not include sexual desire.

The Aston is a great looking car and maybe more exotic looking. It is more sporty and quick and sounds aggressive, I like it but I bought a Bentley. I see neither as these two as girlie cars.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 09-10-2012 at 08:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston vs. Bentley