BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Warning to All 996TT and GT2 owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
excluding cars who are capable of putting the power down Kevin (a la Porsche Turbo's/GT2's)! The turbo is insane with putting the power to the ground, its ridiculous. The M3 just couldnt, dont know what it was! Of course i didnt run full slicks and so on, but my turbo on street tires and rwd had no issues, much wider track and can fit wider tires!
Damn.... I guess I have to stick with the upcoming 3B....Kevin

Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
When you look at the video clip with stocker rollin from 40, it looks slow as ****! agreed the guy is a bit slow on the reactions, but we are talkin 600+ meant to be over stock, should pull way harder than that in my opinion!

Btw, did anyone notice how the cars tyres spin on the rims in 3rd gear?

Heard about this happening before!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:02 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
I'd put my GT2 GT700 up against it anyday. We can drag race then, we'll hit the twisties. My GT700 makes 670RWHP and weighs less than an M3.
How did you get the 670rwhp Joe - pm me the answer

Jag

Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
The M3 makes a wonderful NA daily driver...however, the rods are notoriously weak, pencil thin (the same problem that the VQ 3.5, the M3 competitor, faces). I quarantee you that it will take way more than 30K to get an M3 up to TT or GT2 level, and that is a stock Porsche. I know because I was in the process of building a vQ 3.5 to 600 rwhp levels, and it was going to run me 35 plus K to do it right. And I had the best VQ tuner in the country next door. Are you trying to say that a BMW is cheaper to mod than a Nissan?

If so, then I have a bridge you might be interested in buying....

Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Im with ILLM3 on this one...the M is just plain better stock...it loses ENOUGH traction as is and I cant imagine not having a usable 3rd gear!!

Cool that they were able to do this...but...not my bag of...whatever...

Old 01-03-2007, 09:15 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Shoot! What state is this car in? I'll run him!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:27 PM
jay_ftw will become famous soon enough
Serious-

My M is stock and I can spin in 2nd!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Spencer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
The M3 makes a wonderful NA daily driver...however, the rods are notoriously weak, pencil thin (the same problem that the VQ 3.5, the M3 competitor, faces). I quarantee you that it will take way more than 30K to get an M3 up to TT or GT2 level, and that is a stock Porsche. I know because I was in the process of building a vQ 3.5 to 600 rwhp levels, and it was going to run me 35 plus K to do it right. And I had the best VQ tuner in the country next door. Are you trying to say that a BMW is cheaper to mod than a Nissan?

If so, then I have a bridge you might be interested in buying....
The rod *bearings* were the issue with the early E46 M3's, not the rods themselves. I've never heard of a rod failure in an S54 motor without the presense of a bad bearing. The BMW I6 bottom ends are quite stout from the factory (minus the E46 bearing issue).

The Nissan VQ3.5 is no where near the same league as the S54.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Spencer
The rod *bearings* were the issue with the early E46 M3's, not the rods themselves. I've never heard of a rod failure in an S54 motor without the presense of a bad bearing. The BMW I6 bottom ends are quite stout from the factory (minus the E46 bearing issue).

The Nissan VQ3.5 is no where near the same league as the S54.
Agreed, you cant even compare the internal's strength from the VQ to S54, its apples and oranges, and its been proven already

S54 motor is extremely impressive, takes some good money but they are getting LOTS of power out of them, without any issues short of no traction

Old 01-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I know something for SURE. An 800HP M3 with stock internals will be impressive for about one month before the PSHHT sound turns into kaboom, knock, knock... then you will be back to 333HP running on 5 cylinders. If you're lucky.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
A lot of us had M3s. They are absolutely fantastic cars. I think they may go down in history, but it's no TT. You can't compare a 13.7 second car to a low 12 sec car.

Originally Posted by Diddy
Serious-

My M is stock and I can spin in 2nd!

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 01-03-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Again, I will stick by my claim: If you are foolish enough think you can build a 600 rwhp M3 on stock internals then you deserve the expensive kaboom you will get. If you can keep it running I would love to race you.

However the M3 makes the perfect daily driver.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 01-03-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ari
A lot of us of us had M3s. They are absolutely fantastic cars. I think they may go down in history, but it's no TT. You cn't compare a 13.7 second car to a low 12 sec car.
I have to object...They offer completely different experiences that the other can not touch...I LOVE my M3 and my TT in different ways...and I can say...the TT will NEVER drift/slide nearly as well as the M...and thats a lot of fun that the Pcar cant really have...
BUT...the trust of the Pcar is pretty amazing and the M fails to even feel fast in comparison...

Old 01-03-2007, 10:46 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wross996TT
You think all we care about is HP? NO...I didn't get my turbo to race any cars on the road. I bought it cause it is the BEST sports CAB made...period.
I would love to check out your car sometime, havent seen many (heck any) turbos up north here, but saw a couple of your posts.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:48 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by villains_turbo
I would love to check out your car sometime, havent seen many (heck any) turbos up north here, but saw a couple of your posts.
That car is in Colorado....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warning to All 996TT and GT2 owners