Why roadracer/HPDE types shouldn't drag race...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Why roadracer/HPDE types shouldn't drag race...

So I went to the track day rental at MIR today. I tried hard to get my car to launch, but between wheelhop, bogging, and spinning, and just couldn't get a launch to be "happy" with, without fear of breaking hard parts. The clutch held fine, and maybe if I'd played with tire pressures and tried a more abusive approach, I'd have had better results... Had a slew of 117MPH passes in the 12.4 to 12.8 range. Reaction times weren't bad, ranging from .500 to .577, but the 60 ft. times were horrid, ranging in 2.1 - 2.3 with massive wheelspin thru 3rd gear. I knew there was a reason I don't drag race...

Mike

Old 11-12-2007, 06:35 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Hey mike it was good to meet you today. I really think if you gave it a few more trys you would be much happier. It took me a while and I got really pissed, then it got better and now its fun.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Drag racing is for guys with small penorz. But then again, they say the same thing about guys who own Porsches! OOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhh

j/k

Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
first time is always hard.. you are nervous...you are unsure of many things... you got a gazzilion things going on in your head....BUT!!!! dont worry there is tomorow and you can go bak and do better!!! YOU WILL..... GO out and ahve fun...run yourself...take your time.... dont sweat at the reaction times!! worry about one thing at a time... think that you are going to work on your launch first..then do what you can down the track..... or jsut get the car going and then try to master your cars peak torque band and shift in there..... so many things to do... take your time!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 PM
gxlex will become famous soon enoughgxlex will become famous soon enough
I'm in the same boat as you Mike and probably go as spectator next time around or until I learn how to launch.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Well, maybe he can redeem himself this spring when we rent out Summit Point.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
The main thing is that you are at the track not just bench-racing on the forum about how fast your car is. Get out there and have fun.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
The main thing is that you are at the track not just bench-racing on the forum about how fast your car is. Get out there and have fun.
+1! Better on the track than the street.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
sorry i didnt get to chat with you yesterday, glad u came out and had fun with us, there will be more events to redeem yourself

Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
Mike, its not just you. These cars are extremely hard to get off the line. Either you get to much rpm and it doesnt hook up quickly (side benefit is you glaze your clutch) or you dont get enough and it bogs down. After a couple of terrible runs my first time, I just started easing the clutch out, and then hammering it. My 60fts were terrible, but I worked on improving my trap speed with shifting etc. Either way, it's fun.

Originally Posted by Mikelly
So I went to the track day rental at MIR today. I tried hard to get my car to launch, but between wheelhop, bogging, and spinning, and just couldn't get a launch to be "happy" with, without fear of breaking hard parts. The clutch held fine, and maybe if I'd played with tire pressures and tried a more abusive approach, I'd have had better results... Had a slew of 117MPH passes in the 12.4 to 12.8 range. Reaction times weren't bad, ranging from .500 to .577, but the 60 ft. times were horrid, ranging in 2.1 - 2.3 with massive wheelspin thru 3rd gear. I knew there was a reason I don't drag race...

Mike