Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Panamera Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 10:46 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Post DIY: Panamera Oil Change

I did not bother to do a DIY for oil change, because there are some vids out there on how to perform this work.
Below is a link to one of these videos, will walk you through the complete oil change.

Items I used:
- Oil: Castrol Edge full synthetic 5W40 - purchased 10 quarts, will use about 9 or so
- Oil Filter: Mahle OX 254 D4 - replace this part every time
- Drain plug: 900 219 020 31 - if you are gentle and do not screw up the hex hole in the plug, you can re use the plug. Be gentle, get proper tools (8mm hex/allen wrench)
- Drain plug gasket: 900 123 106 30 - put in a new one with every oil change. If oil starts leaking here, you will waste an hour or two to replace just this part, plug oil cost. All for $0.50 savings.

There are magnetic oil drain plugs out there. I may try one at some point to see how much metallic particulate collects on it. Not today though.

Below is a video for complete oil change. After oil change, make sure to reset the oil change service interval, by following instructions in this DIY - Durametric users.
Thanks.

Video:

Old 11-01-2018, 09:43 AM
negb is on a distinguished road

... and some info about which viscosity oil to choose:
0W-40 - for all temperatures ranges
5W-40 or 5W-50 - for temperature range over -13 F (-25 C)

Old 11-06-2018, 10:31 PM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Hi there. Great video thank you!

May I ask what the Torque values are for:
1. Oil drain plug
2. Oil filter housing

Will it be the same as the 911's?
1. Oil Drain plug 50nm
2. Oil Filter housing 25nm

Old 11-07-2018, 12:29 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Oil drain plug is 30nm
Oil filter housing 25nm

Old 11-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Realized that the video was on a Pan V6 and the guy said 9 quarts of oil. Tried to search on the manual but couldn't find the correct amount of oil for my Pan S 4.8 V8. Can someone point me to the right direction?

Considering I'm on the other side of the big pond in a tropical country (27°C - 33°C ave outside temp), will my 911's 5w-50 Mobil 1 work for the Pan S as well?

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 11-18-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:20 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
5W40 temp range is from -30 C to 50C so you should have no problem with it.
5W50 will be thicker at operating temperature, but will be same viscosity at ambient.
thicker at operating temp will mean worse fuel mileage.

I would stick with what they ask for from porsche.
As to quantity, drain oil and filter, measure how much came out. Then you will have good point of reference.

My turbo takes exactly 10 quarts to be full with filter change.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by ciaka
5W40 temp range is from -30 C to 50C so you should have no problem with it.
5W50 will be thicker at operating temperature, but will be same viscosity at ambient.
thicker at operating temp will mean worse fuel mileage.

I would stick with what they ask for from porsche.
As to quantity, drain oil and filter, measure how much came out. Then you will have good point of reference.

My turbo takes exactly 10 quarts to be full with filter change.
Thanks for that Ciaka! Will do exactly that. Cheers!

Old 01-13-2020, 11:07 PM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
So...just did my 1st oil change. Wow, that was easy! Can’t believe my local dealership charges $500 for this! Thanks to all for these posts as they were super helpful!

Old 01-14-2020, 05:23 AM
Congrats on the job, and on learning how much $$$ the dealers (some say aka stealers) take from Porsche owners, for the simplest of things.
At autozone, they always have special on 5W40 Castrol Edge Full Synthetic oil. You get 10 quarts for under 60 bucks. Same with Walmart, they sell same oil for about $26/5L jug.
Add filter for say $10, and you have a full oil change for about $70 plus an hour of your time. Savings? More than $400 that you can put towards some other toy or just put away.

Great to hear. Keep it up. Challenge yourself to the next job, like brake pads replacement, and/or rotors replacement. You will be astounded how much you will save and how easy it is.

Originally Posted by vkb123
So...just did my 1st oil change. Wow, that was easy! Can’t believe my local dealership charges $500 for this! Thanks to all for these posts as they were super helpful!

Old 01-16-2020, 06:14 PM
c4racer is an unknown quantity at this point
huge profit margin for the dealers - oil changes. I would use the Mobil1 Euro Spec or another Porsche approved oil personally. I guess next time since you already did it.
The one thing you won't be able to do is reset the service monitor system without a scan tool.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:19 PM
...but trust me, couple hundred dollars to get the diagnostic tool, will pay for itself in a couple of uses, and you will get to keep using it for various PD needs. I would never own any Porsche without having one.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:19 PM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Ciaka! I used Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 (same as my Indy shop). Bought an “oil change kit” from FCPEuro. $100 for everything with free shipping so easy. I have a Durametric so able to reset the service interval.

On another note, I’m getting a “Chassis System Fault”. I’ve read (and re-read) your air suspension info post. I’m about to start another post about my fault. Really wish Dr. Ciaka lived close by so that I could bring over a 6-pack and get some help!

Old 01-17-2020, 08:09 AM
Lol. Sure. I live in Tx.
If have the fault, check with diagnostic to see exactly what the errors are and what their descriptions are.
Good rule of thumb for leaking shocks, in morning after u start your car, press raise button and count how many seconds it takes to finish raising it.
Porsche designed to lift in 4 seconds. If yours takes 8 or 10, chances are great you have a leak. It's because leaky system has weak pressure in air rank so takes time in the morning to pressurize tank, then inflate back to desired level.
of course the spray on top of each shock is a give away to.
let us know what u find in new thread and we can go from there.

Originally Posted by vkb123
...Really wish Dr. Ciaka lived close by so that I could bring over a 6-pack and get some help!

Old 01-17-2020, 08:41 AM
c4racer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ciaka
...but trust me, couple hundred dollars to get the diagnostic tool, will pay for itself in a couple of uses, and you will get to keep using it for various PD needs. I would never own any Porsche without having one.
If I do end up keeping mine past the CPO period, I will pick one up. I figure there is no need at this point because if anything crops up now it's still under full factory warranty.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:57 PM
ScottDy is on a distinguished road
Did my first DIY oil change on the Panamera yesterday. It's not my first DIY, I've changed oil and done brake jobs on most of my cars but for some reason, the Panamera has been a little intimidating to me. The oil change was't that much different than any of my past vehicles with the exception of the under covering and the oil reset scan tool reset. The hardest part was getting the car up on the Rino ramps, the dumb thing kept spitting the ramps forward when I was half way up them, finally had to jack the car up on each side and slide the ramps underneath the wheels. I think I'm going to have to buy an electric portable lift system as it's just too much aggravation to do it any other way.The oil change was pretty uneventful with the exception of the Mann oil filter element that I had to force into the rear round guide and then there was a decidedly increase in force needed while screwing in the filter canister covering as it entered the front of the filter. I put in about 9 qts and started it while looking for leaks from the drain plug and filter housing and after about 5 minutes with no leaks I put everything back together and reset the oil service message with my newly acquired Icarsoft Por II scan tool (BTW, they have a great tool but their website sucks, their phone number is unanswered and they don't appear to answer emails either. I'm afraid Google and Utube video's are the only reference available if you have questions).So, definitely worth the effort to avoid the $250-$300.00 dealer charge, if you buy the oil on Amazon and the filter, drain plug (I replaced mine but the old one was fine) and crush washer wherever you won't be over $100.00. The scan tool is a one time $150.00 expense but over time it will more than pay for itself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Panamera Oil Change