996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo or GTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
If you already own a GTR. id say keep it..

Old 10-26-2009, 05:57 PM
gnx7 has a spectacular aura aboutgnx7 has a spectacular aura aboutgnx7 has a spectacular aura about
Bang for the buck the 996TT for sure.... however give a few more years to the GTR and it should be one bad *** machine. The current weak GTR transaxle issues would scare me from buying one and how expensive they are to repair. They also are big and like bricks... so their top end performance is a bit hampered.

An AMS customer GTR was at the TX mile this fall and it supposedly ran 10.30's@140mphish but couldn't muster beyond 190mph in the mile. The transaxle also gave up the ghost.... so they only made a couple passes for the weekend.

The C6Z06 with ported heads/cam/headers/tune will make 550-600rwhp depending upon how radical of a cam you install in it. Maintenance and parts costs are relatively low and used parts are pretty easy to source.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gnx7
Bang for the buck the 996TT for sure.... however give a few more years to the GTR and it should be one bad *** machine. The current weak GTR transaxle issues would scare me from buying one and how expensive they are to repair. They also are big and like bricks... so their top end performance is a bit hampered.

An AMS customer GTR was at the TX mile this fall and it supposedly ran 10.30's@140mphish but couldn't muster beyond 190mph in the mile. The transaxle also gave up the ghost.... so they only made a couple passes for the weekend.

The C6Z06 with ported heads/cam/headers/tune will make 550-600rwhp depending upon how radical of a cam you install in it. Maintenance and parts costs are relatively low and used parts are pretty easy to source.
The biggest problem with the C6 Z06 is transmission gearing, which does not lend itself to Texas Mile type runs.

It will take considerably more rwhp to push a C6 Z06 to 200 in a mile, case in point the TT Z06 making over 800rwhp that failed to hit 200.

The NA Z06 that actually went over 200 in Texas was making about 750 flywheel.

These cars need a race-geared close ratio trans to optimize the rwhp for mile attempts(something that does exist, but most people won't anty up the $4k or so necessary for this mod).

The Porsche 996(/997)TT's are geared appropriately for such runs, making them IMHO the better choice, considering they are relatively inexpensive at this point.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:04 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I'd point out that the trans in the 996TT isn't exactly bulletproof either. Bang for buck the Supra is still pretty good with a ROCK solid drivetrain but the power curve on high power isn't exactly friendly. I personally wouldn't mind a GTR but NOT at current prices. Frankly they could have brought over the previous model as LHD and I'd have been fine with it instead of this heavy expensive thing. Z06 just has an image issue for me I can't get past but they are quite nice cars and VERY capable. I really don't like N/A cars though, they "suck" ;-)

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I'd point out that the trans in the 996TT isn't exactly bulletproof either. Bang for buck the Supra is still pretty good with a ROCK solid drivetrain but the power curve on high power isn't exactly friendly. I personally wouldn't mind a GTR but NOT at current prices. Frankly they could have brought over the previous model as LHD and I'd have been fine with it instead of this heavy expensive thing. Z06 just has an image issue for me I can't get past but they are quite nice cars and VERY capable. I really don't like N/A cars though, they "suck" at high altitude ;-)
fixed it for you. yup supras are pretty tough, but the power curves really suck. 996tt is still the best way to go.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Not to mention the previously mentioned issues with the LS7 starving for oil on number 7 cyclinder and killing the motor... Buddy of mine had that happen on his 1100mile old 2008 Z06... no thanks...

They all have warts of some sort, I suppose.

Mike

Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Not really a failure...the touch points need to be adjusted if he is slipping b/c too much TQ due to boost. You can adjust clutches a and b from -7 to +7 (stock setting is 0). If you plan to run a TON of power through the tranny and the TQ is causing the clutch to slip at 25 psi, try using a consult 3 to increase the clutch capacities.

Having said that, it's just like a manual car...you take a stock clutch and put and extra 200 rwtq to it, it'll eventually slip (in any given car). The same can be said of the example you stated.

I daily drive my GTR and I LOVE it. I could have purchased 2 996tt's instead of my GTR but went with the GTR...why? Quite frankly, b/c it's a better car. It's in a diff league than the 996tt and really should be compared to the 997tt.

I don't want to get flamed (flame suit on) being that I'm on a p-car board, but given the number of cars I've owned/driven/experienced, this is my honest opinion.

Peter

Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Not at all, I was merely stating how tough the transmission was in a local customer's car. Technically, the trans didn't blow catastrophically , it just started to slip. Failure nonetheless.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 PM
GT640 is on a distinguished road
Porsche Turbo = universal respect.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by houstonT
Not really a failure...the touch points need to be adjusted if he is slipping b/c too much TQ due to boost. You can adjust clutches a and b from -7 to +7 (stock setting is 0). If you plan to run a TON of power through the tranny and the TQ is causing the clutch to slip at 25 psi, try using a consult 3 to increase the clutch capacities.

Having said that, it's just like a manual car...you take a stock clutch and put and extra 200 rwtq to it, it'll eventually slip (in any given car). The same can be said of the example you stated.

I daily drive my GTR and I LOVE it. I could have purchased 2 996tt's instead of my GTR but went with the GTR...why? Quite frankly, b/c it's a better car. It's in a diff league than the 996tt and really should be compared to the 997tt.

I don't want to get flamed (flame suit on) being that I'm on a p-car board, but given the number of cars I've owned/driven/experienced, this is my honest opinion.

Peter
yeah so much better that it falls flat on it's face in the mile. Funny, for what I spent on my 996tt I could have purchased a GTR and then some. Would not have traded it then, would not trade it now. It's still a Nissan. The only reason why it is even fast in the 1/4 mile is because of it's trans. That 3800 lb car weighs 400 lbs more than a 996tt. You cannot defy the laws of physics. Wear and tear will be much quicker in that car. No flaming just my point of view.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:52 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Like i said before...not much can be done to hide the weight of GTR. My friends GTR with Cobb AP tune and Mid pipes and exhaust was dusted by my k16/16g which cost me 3k total. i pulled 4 cars...he basically gave up.

The car is fast until 100, then it falls flat. The tune made it better but no match to 996tt modded. Its a great car but not worth the money considering the performance it offers. As evident from the mile , you need 800+ hp to be close to 190. A k24/18g will get you there with sub 600 hp.

Last edited by vbmw335; 10-27-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:15 AM
deef 996tt is on a distinguished road
Go for it, 996tt better than gtr

Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335
Like i said before...not much can be done to hide the weight of GTR. My friends GTR with Cobb AP tune and Mid pipes and exhaust was dusted by my k16/16g which cost me 3k total. i pulled 4 cars...he basically gave up.

The car is fast until 100, then it falls flat. The tune made it better but no match to 996tt modded. Its a great car but not worth the money considering the performance it offers. As evident from the mile , you need 800+ hp to be close to 190. A k24/18g will get you there with sub 600 hp.

Biggest GT-R problem will be weight, even gutted (with cage), it's still almost 3500 lbs! Also pretty crazy that it takes 800 hp to run a mile at 190 mph.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Biggest GT-R problem will be weight, even gutted (with cage), it's still almost 3500 lbs! Also pretty crazy that it takes 800 hp to run a mile at 190 mph.

I haven't really even started taking weight off my car and I am at 3350 lbs with custom exhaust. GTR= ZO6 start price, Ferrari maintenance and repair bills.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Z06 starts at 74k GT-R at 84k and could go up some more.

Going to get my car down to about 3050 with a roll bar in it, AC and Carpet still in tact. Maybe even sub 3k without AC and no bumper supports. But it's going to be insanely fast, believe that.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by houstonT
This will be very interesting to hear some comments on that statement.
I must admit Nissan makes some great economy vehicles,my wife had a Sentra for 10yrs and it served it's purpose flawlessly.The GT-R seems to be a good vehicle but is not a Porsche. Peter might need to post in the Nissan section of the forum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo or GTR?