996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo or GTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
This will be very interesting to hear some comments on that statement.
I must admit Nissan makes some great economy vehicles,my wife had a Sentra for 10yrs and it served it's purpose flawlessly.The GT-R seems to be a good vehicle but is not a Porsche. Peter might need to post in the Nissan section of the forum.
so they can discuss the ins and outs of sentras, altimas and such

Old 10-28-2009, 08:52 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
so they can discuss the ins and outs of sentras, altimas and such
Agreed. Ive been following this thread with interest, the GT-R has always interested me, but the dealerships dont quite seem to know how to deal with a high end car customer. No test drives, unsure about service costs and warranty coverage, and salespeople and staff that dont seem to know how to handle a car like this. When i went to look at one, i was told only to speak directly to the owner of the dealership, who kept the only GT-R he had in his garage at home! Arranging a test drive was impossible. I gave up. Maybe in a year or 2 i'll try again. Would love to see how it feels vs my 996TT though.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlueFVD-575
Agreed. Ive been following this thread with interest, the GT-R has always interested me, but the dealerships dont quite seem to know how to deal with a high end car customer. No test drives, unsure about service costs and warranty coverage, and salespeople and staff that dont seem to know how to handle a car like this. When i went to look at one, i was told only to speak directly to the owner of the dealership, who kept the only GT-R he had in his garage at home! Arranging a test drive was impossible. I gave up. Maybe in a year or 2 i'll try again. Would love to see how it feels vs my 996TT though.

yup, I have said it all along. Give me a 6 speed manual, drop the weight by 300 lbs and the price by 10k, and I might consider it. They did drop weight by 150 lbs in the specV but it cost more than a new turbo 997

Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
I ran the car at the mile for FUN, and nothing else, and then posted my results including sending my driftbox file to Scott. There is nothing to hide. Having said that, if I wanted to run 220 in the mile, I would have taken the Supra I just purchased instead of the GTR (no one knows about the Supra yet) The purpose of the GTR is to be my DAILY DRIVER and that is my frame of reference. I have a 130 mph daily that I can drive with one hand on the wheel. Again, comparing stock for stock to the 996tt the GTR is quicker, faster, handles better, can navigate a road course better, has better suspension, better interior, better stereo........etc...

I take back my statement about being able to buy 2 996tt's for the price of the GTR...I just checked Manheim, I could have purchased 3.5 996tt's for the price as you can now get a 996tt in the 20's. Again, the real comparo car for the GTR is the 997tt

Peter

yeah so much better that it falls flat on it's face in the mile. Funny, for what I spent on my 996tt I could have purchased a GTR and then some. Would not have traded it then, would not trade it now. It's still a Nissan. The only reason why it is even fast in the 1/4 mile is because of it's trans. That 3800 lb car weighs 400 lbs more than a 996tt. You cannot defy the laws of physics. Wear and tear will be much quicker in that car. No flaming just my point of view.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
p.s. this brick would have gone 185 in the mile had I gapped the plugs down like I was supposed to...spark was blowing out on the big end under load...

Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Check Manheim for used GT-R's I think you will find they are dropping quite fast.

Now where is that Senta Forum ,Sorry I meant GT-R Forum.(no disrespect to Sentra owners)

?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Only 6 have gone through in the past 3 months...of those, only 2 above avg (no paint work, clean) and have gone for around $69k-70k. This number has been steady and hasn't moved much in the past 6 months.

Peter

Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Check Manheim for used GT-R's I think you will find they are dropping quite fast.

Now where is that Senta Forum ,Sorry I meant GT-R Forum.(no disrespect to Sentra owners)

?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by houstonT

I take back my statement about being able to buy 2 996tt's for the price of the GTR...I just checked Manheim, I could have purchased 3.5 996tt's for the price as you can now get a 996tt in the 20's. Again, the real comparo car for the GTR is the 997tt

Peter

Not quite. Quality is not even as good as the 996tt. You can get a beater of anything. A good CPO car still commands more. you obviously don't know much about these cars. but you are on here a lot.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 AM
I guess we'll have to just disagree then...a good CPO car DOES in fact command more, BUT, I still could have purchased 3 996TT's for the price of the GTR. My biggest gripe about the 996tt is the interior, it's aweful... Modability and potential to run strong, along with history of being able to hold up to basic mods...that's about the only advantage the 996tt has over the GTR. Of course bang for the buck is hard to beat with the 996tt as well, but if you want ultimate bang for the buck you go Supra (a completely different arguement). I understand your need to justify and support your purchase but really the 997TT is the direct competitor to the GTR........
Peter

Not quite. Quality is not even as good as the 996tt. You can get a beater of anything. A good CPO car still commands more. you obviously don't know much about these cars. but you are on here a lot.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 AM
I guess we'll have to just disagree then...a good CPO car DOES in fact command more, BUT, I still could have purchased 3 996TT's for the price of the GTR. My biggest gripe about the 996tt is the interior, it's aweful... Modability and potential to run strong, along with history of being able to hold up to basic mods...that's about the only advantage the 996tt has over the GTR. Of course bang for the buck is hard to beat with the 996tt as well, but if you want ultimate bang for the buck you go Supra (a completely different arguement). I understand your need to justify and support your purchase but really the 997TT is the direct competitor to the GTR........
Peter

No but really the 997tt and 996tt are nearly the same car and you keep on stating this falsity that they are completely different. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about and try to spread disinformation. Fact 1, both cars have the same engine and structure. Fact 2, the 997 turbo has better turbochargers, but if you are going to mod it, it makes no difference. Fact 3 the ECU code for the 997tt has not been cracked. It has to be pulled from the car. The 996tt ecu has been and has much more tuning flexibility. I was told this by a tuner. Fact 4 you can take the entire body structure panel system of a 997tt and install it on a 996tt. There are definite improvements in the 997tt, as there should be. The VTG is excellent.

As for interiors. I have heard that 996 interior comment often, but it is another BS statement. The interior on mine is at least as nice as the 997. In fact I like the dash better, as it looks more advanced to me. and both are nicer than the GTR.

But lets hit the GTR. It is UGLY, no wait FUGLY. Angular in an ugly way. It is FAT, really FAT. It has big brakes to haul it's big fat *** down, which causes incredible wear and tear. It has a tranny with more failures than the gong show. Heck blown transmissions caught on video at the track in it's first year of production. It's launch control voided the warranty. It is a dog above 100 mph(not my words, but often stated by owners themselves). It is still a NISSAN, sold with Sentras and when you go to the nissan dealer, you are among, an exclussive crowd of Sentra owners.

The R34 was a much better car, much much better.

As for your supra. Supras are great drag cars. So are 60-70's american muscle cars. Unfortunately they are not the complete package but terrifying in a straight line.

The interior is not that nice, and the Spec V interior is downright ugly.

The car looks like an overgrown Mitsubishi EvoX.

996tt sticker price 130-140k. High quality solid vehicle.
GTR sticker price 75k bumped to 85k - for a nissan. .

really the true comparison for a GTR is the Cayenne Turbo

Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
BLKMGK, looking forward to a post from you without mentioning Supras, you like the Supra, we get it :-) (btw, I have had 3 of them)

Personally, I love the iconic history of the 911, some can bash the 40+ year old shape, but then every red blooded, air breathing person on the planet knows what a 911 is. As famous as the lineage the Skyline/GT-R has, it just isn't the same.

The GT-R (and Supra) are HEAVY and there just isnt much you can do about it, the 911 turbo isnt exactly light, but it is lighter and that makes a difference.

The 911 turbo and GT-R are comparitively expensive, the tranny is $20k to fix on the GT-R in additon to whatever else happens, but then again I just spent nearly that on fixing my tranny and some other go faster/handle better things. Youre going o spend money either way.

Driving feel, I feel connected to the 911 turbo, its part of me and it does pretty much what I want when I want it, the GT-R seemed...artificial, it took my inputs and it decided what it wanted to do, I was along for the ride and push some buttons and stuff.

Both are good cars, but I think the 99x is a higher caliber car, the GT1 motor'd 911's are legendary, the GT-R has the what I call "the gamer crowd" following (not a bash, just how I see it), both are relatively expensive to buy, modify and fix. The GT-R is heavier but newer technology and gizmos, the 911 turbo is more of a "pure" car but a bit older appearing. Of all the cars, the 996/997 PSM is the best "traction control" I have ever driven, but I havent owned a GT-R, just extended seat time.

Personally, I think the gadgetry would be cool for a few months then eventually get old for me, Nissan would probably **** me off, especially after I used Luanch control and broke something but I dont want to go there, and probably tire of the GT-R fan boyz just as I did with the Mustnag and Supra crowd (no bash, just how I see it), I think the turbo is a much nicer looking car, the GT-R, as PRCHE951 points out, is butt ugly, but has signs of innovation in some angles. Porsche, has been a breath of fresh air dealer wise and the other drivers/forums have been overall a very good experience.

I think if you have some expendable cash and wanted an different driving experience, I would check out a 99x GT2 for road driving or a 997/997.2 GT3/RS for the track, the turbo is great but from what you have said, you're looking for a new experience, I can definitely relate with my history of cars (I have owned the turbo longer than any other go fast car if that means anything).

Good luck with your search and let us know what you find.

Last edited by DEEPBLUE; 10-28-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Peter
Supra as the best bang for buck????? That has to be the worst statement in this whole thread. There are still Supra's going in the 20's and 30's and that's for a 14-17 year old car!!!!!! And let's not get to the handling.

Anyways back on topic, no one is comparing the 996 TT directly with the GT-R except you. Everything else is bang for the buck, and you can get a 996 TT for as you say 3.5 times cheaper than a GT-R and still have a better built car that is more reliable, less to maintain and upgrade, still has better quality albeit less gadgetry on the interior, and doesn't have to get serviced at a Nissan dealer.

The GT-R is hardly a direct competitor with the 997 TT, you got that all wrong. Two different class of cars. That's like comparing a Honda to a Lexus.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:30 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I agree, the entire bang for the buck is relative. a beat up $500 Pinto with a $1000 351 crammed in it with a BUTT TON of NOS will beat damn near anything from stop light to stop light for the money, again relative.

Supras are selling for more than new, I like the Supra, it had it's time and place and is still hard to beat...on the highway, anyway. But like you said, no comparison.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Supra as the best bang for buck????? That has to be the worst statement in this whole thread. There are still Supra's going in the 20's and 30's and that's for a 14-17 year old car!!!!!! And let's not get to the handling.

Anyways back on topic, no one is comparing the 996 TT directly with the GT-R except you. Everything else is bang for the buck, and you can get a 996 TT for as you say 3.5 times cheaper than a GT-R and still have a better built car that is more reliable, less to maintain and upgrade, still has better quality albeit less gadgetry on the interior, and doesn't have to get serviced at a Nissan dealer.

The GT-R is hardly a direct competitor with the 997 TT, you got that all wrong. Two different class of cars. That's like comparing a Honda to a Lexus.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
is this becoming a quality vs performance thread?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No, the GT-R guy brought interior into it as if the GT-R is a maserati or something on the inside. The interior on a GT-R isn't even Infiniti grade quality.

As for me, this began as run what you brung and what did you get for your $$$. And the 996 TT is hands down a better buy, easily, with money to spare.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo or GTR?