996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo or GTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:46 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
For the watch collectors here…911’s are like a fine jewel Omega / Rolex Swiss watch, GTR is like a Casio G shock! Both do the job, but do it differently!

J/k ...GTR is a great car but its not the same as 911. I would like to see some comments from someone who owns both.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335
For the watch collectors here…911’s are like a fine jewel Omega / Rolex Swiss watch, GTR is like a Casio G shock! Both do the job, but do it differently!

J/k ...GTR is a great car but its not the same as 911. I would like to see some comments from someone who owns both.
That's the exact analogy I just used whilst discussing the Porsche vs. GTR with a friend who is trying to decide what to buy...

The GTR is like a quartz watch.. Efficient, accurate, technology rich, but ultimately lacking soul, quality and collectability. It's much like the Japanese LiterBikes.. there will always be next years model that will have more gadgets, a few more HP, tiny changes in suspension etc, but will never have the soul and longevity of a Ducati or MV Augusta. These Porsches are like a Jaeger Le Coultre, Audemars Piguet or similar... Porsches are precision crafted, over-engineered, laden with history, race proven over and over again.... The GTR is the "Transformer" set's dream Car....

P.S. I have driven the GTR on a couple of occasions and it is massively competent, fast and quite an amazing piece of technology, but ultimately when pushed really hard, it understeers badly and it ends up doing what IT wants to do... Through turn 2 at Thunderhill, it keeps trying to "save" me from myself, when I don't need to be saved thank you very much... driving skill is about learning where the Car's limits and your limits are and improving your skills.. when the Car constantly tries to save your @ss, you aren't learning much.. This is why all the greatest drivers in the World came from a shifter kart background.. the rawest form of driving possible... it teaches you everything you need to know about how to drive a 4 wheeled vehicle.

Last edited by 80shilling; 10-28-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 80shilling
That's the exact analogy I just used whilst discussing the Porsche vs. GTR with a friend who is trying to decide what to buy...

The GTR is like a quartz watch.. Efficient, accurate, technology rich, but ultimately lacking soul, quality and collectability. It's much like the Japanese LiterBikes.. there will always be next years model that will have more gadgets, a few more HP, tiny changes in suspension etc, but will never have the soul and longevity of a Ducati or MV Augusta. These Porsches are like a Jaeger Le Coultre, Audemars Piguet or similar... Porsches are precision crafted, over-engineered, laden with history, race proven over and over again.... The GTR is the "Transformer" set's dream Car....

+1 . I said Omega because i own a PO, i would love to own a AP/JLC one day.. But you get the point. The only other car i crave is the 2010 Gt3.

Last edited by vbmw335; 10-28-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335
+1 . I said Omega because i own a PO, i would love to own a AP/JLC one day.. But you get the point. The only other car i crave is the 2010 Gt3.
The Planet Ocean is a really nice watch...

Is there a Watch sub-forum on 6speedonline?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
I figured I would get this type of reaction on a P-Car forum in the 996 section. LOL No point in arguing as GTR vs. 997 threads are all over the internet. The bottom line is that the GTR is much better than the 996tt in EVERY regard....

heavy - I sign my name when I post, although you might be afraid of posting your real name, i'm not...have the courtesy to use it when referring to me please. Thanks!

Peter
p.s. I wear a Breitling daily... I'm not an Omega kind of guy...

Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
***I figured I would get this type of reaction on a P-Car forum in the 996 section. LOL No point in arguing as GTR vs. 997 threads are all over the internet. The bottom line is that the GTR is much better than the 996tt in EVERY regard.... ***

That is your opinion and opinions are worth what you pay for them.

Peter

Old 10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by houstonT
I figured I would get this type of reaction on a P-Car forum in the 996 section. LOL No point in arguing as GTR vs. 997 threads are all over the internet. The bottom line is that the GTR is much better than the 996tt in EVERY regard....

heavy - I sign my name when I post, although you might be afraid of posting your real name, i'm not...have the courtesy to use it when referring to me please. Thanks!

Peter
I prefer Breguet's myself...

I respectfully disagree with your opinion.. My "lowly" 996 GT2 is just a better Car than the GTR.. The GTR is a fantastic bargain for what it does, but it's not a real drivers car.. it takes too much of the real driving out of the drivers hands and replaces it with electronic substitutes..

I have spent over 20 years racing various Cars, Motorcycles and Shifter Karts, as well as having been a driving instructor for a couple of local Racing organizations.. The GTR is a fantastic daily driver for the majority of people, but for those people that have honed their driving skills to the expert level, the Porsche (especially 996 based GT3 and GT2 variants) is a better Car for trackdays..

I just sold my Z06 for some of the same reasons that I dislike the GTR as a trackday Car.. In "competitive" mode, the factory's recommended trackday settings, the electronics were just too intrusive and I found myself having to turn all electronic aids off to get the car to do what I wanted it to do.

My opinions of the GTR are that the interior is horrible and WAAAAY too "gadgety".. it's heavy, it understeers even worse then the Audi R8 (which I just spent three days flogging at full tilt during the Audi advanced racing school at Sears Point/Infineon), it's brakes fade after 4 really hard laps and just is too disconnected a driving experience for me.. but then again, I like my driving on the raw side and am a lifelong Liter Bike rider, so my calibration is a wee bit different than most people's...

Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 PM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
I owned a 2002 996TT with the X50 until I sold it for the GT-R. Havent looked back. I did love my Porsche. Both cars are completely different animals. I just wanted something new and exciting.

The GT-R was built to directly compete against the Porsche Turbo, 996 or 997. Nissan engineers used the Turbo as the benchmark. But this will never be taken as form of flattery.

This debate will never come to an end. The GT-R is everything the Porsche is not. The Porsche is everything the GT-R is not. Blonde vs. Brunette. In the end both cars are hot! And it just comes down to personal preference!

Frig! In this economy, we should all be blessed to consider such exciting cars!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:00 PM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
80 - I have ALMOST purchased a GT2 on many occasions, it's the only 996 I would personally consider as I think the extra $ is worth the exclusivity you get. While we will agree to disagree on the 996tt (NOT GT2) vs. GTR discussion...I must say the interior of the GTR is leaps/bounds better than the 996tt. The electronics trump the p-cars...the dash is logical and complete and the options you have with the e-guages cannot be matched. If you feel R-mode is intrusive, turn the VDC OFF!

Peter

Old 10-28-2009, 02:02 PM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Dayummm...I'd hate to know what ya'll really think about America's only sports car.

Peter...you know better than to pick a fight on someone else's turf.

Sorry but 996 or 997 (TT, GT2 or GT3) (without a doubt) > GTR

Peter have you had a chance to spend any amount of seat time in the 996 or 997's...?

By far the most balanced "drivers" car I've ever driven with as much or more intangibles than my '09 Z and I LOVE my Z06.

And for the record I wear a Seiko...

Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

Peter

you are right 997NA car is the proper comparison. It is not even close to being in the same class as the 996TT. Hate to break it to you, but you definitely have no clue.

I love it trying to compare your 75k car to a 135k car. LOL. And a top quality car at that.

As for watch comparison. I would say that the GTR is like an Oris. it is ok, and to someone in Alabama it would be an exotic. The 996tt is like an omega seamaster or rolex seadweller, stout, reliable and solid and TIMELESS.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
80 - I have ALMOST purchased a GT2 on many occasions, it's the only 996 I would personally consider as I think the extra $ is worth the exclusivity you get. While we will agree to disagree on the 996tt (NOT GT2) vs. GTR discussion...I must say the interior of the GTR is leaps/bounds better than the 996tt. The electronics trump the p-cars...the dash is logical and complete and the options you have with the e-guages cannot be matched. If you feel R-mode is intrusive, turn the VDC OFF!

Peter
As always, these things come down to personal taste and preferences.. I am one of those that likes my experience to be raw and unfiltered, be it cars or Motorcycles... I like the challenge of taming and mastering whatever I am riding/driving (that includes my Women as well )... Am I allowed to say that on this Forum????

I get enough computers etc in my daily job, I don't need or want them in my Cars...

There is no correct answer here, just two very valid points of view... Thanks for the discussion points Peter...

BTW... Breguet > Breitling...

Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by DJ'sZ
Dayummm...I'd hate to know what ya'll really think about America's only sports car.

Peter...you know better than to pick a fight on someone else's turf.

Sorry but 996 or 997 (TT, GT2 or GT3) (without a doubt) > GTR

Peter have you had a chance to spend any amount of seat time in the 996 or 997's...?

By far the most balanced "drivers" car I've ever driven with as much or more intangibles than my '09 Z and I LOVE my Z06.

And for the record I wear a Seiko...
Interesting coming from a z06 owner, I love c6 Z06’s - lots of respect for them. Was very close to buying one …Seiko's are fine.

Last edited by vbmw335; 10-28-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Prche - not worth the time...your lack of knowledge and cluelessness is shining through in your attempt to put me down...I will not be responding to your posts anymore as they are simply fraught with mistakes, sarcastic BS and other inconsistencies. I wish you the best in life, good luck!

80 - I appreciate a good discussion too and appreciate your attitude towards the discussion, it's rather refreshing actually! Let's not turn this into a watch debate!!!!! LOL

Dennis - come on now, you know damn well I like the Z A LOT (don't you remember the ride you gave me back in the day????) As for America's only sports car...recall I had a Viper!!!!! To be honest, I would LOVE to have a ZR1 in my stable...that just isn't in the cards right now... I have driven BOTH a 996TT and a 997TT. I liked them both....just didn't love them. I can tell you I prefer the 997 over the 996 by a huge margin (or course I would take a 996GT2 over a 997, strictly b/c of the exclusivity factor). Again, I'm NOT putting either down, just prefer the GTR over both. Obviously I could have purchased a 997 (or 996) just chose not to. As for picking a fight on someone else's turf....well, apparently I'm not good at keeping my mouth shut!

Peter

Last edited by houstonT; 10-28-2009 at 03:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo or GTR?