996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Very nice alternative.
Really a good look. I am looking for something that can be put back to stock configuation without much fuss. I have e-mailed the plug guy (Eric) for something less than permanent. Your tail section is Boss! Boss! However comma, want an easy transitition back to stock.

Members have spoken of mesh, etc.. are there any pictures from anyone?

Originally Posted by VRAlexander
I had mine filled in to look like they where never there...
Attachment 46500

Old 02-10-2007, 03:33 AM
VRAlexander
Thanks for the compliment guys...getting rid of the little bumpers cleans up the look of the entire car!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:47 AM
rwm514 will become famous soon enoughrwm514 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Thanks for the compliment guys...getting rid of the little bumpers cleans up the look of the entire car!
Do you worry about getting bumped back there?

Old 02-10-2007, 02:15 PM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by rwm514
Do you worry about getting bumped back there?
No...Cars keep a distance...as I do too...

Old 02-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I have some disappointing news (to me anyway) about net weight savings for swapping out for the GT3 seats and adding a Tequipment roll bar.

I have power/electric seats which are the heaviest possible. They were just under 58 lbs. with the seat belt latch mechanism removed. The weight for a GT3 seat with anti-submarine bar (Porsche part #),Schroth 6-point harness and seat belt latch (for DOT legal belts) is 35.9 lbs. Leaving off the sub bar at 2.4 lbs. and the 6-point harness at 4.5 lbs, the basic seat with seat belt latch which would be the minimum requirement is 29 lbs.

Total weight loss if you don't plan to have harness setup is 58 lbs. If you, as I do, plan to add harness assemblies, the total weight savings is only 44 lbs.

I weighed the Tequipment roll bar (with cross bar) and all the associated fasteners, etc. and it weighs in at 31 lbs. This change of seats and adding roll bar gives me a net loss of 13 lbs. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

Oh well, the Optima Red Top 35 came today and that should net me another -20 lbs including the weight of the mount I plan to build for it.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Al, thanks for the great information.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:01 AM
luckyluke will become famous soon enoughluckyluke will become famous soon enough
Rollbar still worth it.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 AM
PV996TT is on a distinguished road
Mine is 3196 lbs without driver and gas. Mods are: no spare, no rear seats, smaller battery, brakes, BBS wheels, carbon fiber doors and hood, RUF front, GT2 deck/lid problably the same weight as standard, carbon fiber GT3 seats, Öhlins suspension, titanium rods, inconel headers, RUF steering wheel, RUF intake, Sportec carbon fiber airbox. Added weight: RUF Integrated Roll Cage, harness, oilcooler for gearbox, aluminium pedals.

/Peter

Old 02-11-2007, 12:59 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Are any of you guys doing the 996 GT3RS console delete? I did it to my car and it was a weight loss of about 7 lbs.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:27 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PV996TT
Mine is 3196 lbs without driver and gas. Mods are: no spare, no rear seats, smaller battery, brakes, BBS wheels, carbon fiber doors and hood, RUF front, GT2 deck/lid problably the same weight as standard, carbon fiber GT3 seats, Öhlins suspension, titanium rods, inconel headers, RUF steering wheel, RUF intake, Sportec carbon fiber airbox. Added weight: RUF Integrated Roll Cage, harness, oilcooler for gearbox, aluminium pedals.

/Peter
I added 20 lbs for a 1/4 tank of gas.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
I have some disappointing news (to me anyway) about net weight savings for swapping out for the GT3 seats and adding a Tequipment roll bar.

I have power/electric seats which are the heaviest possible. They were just under 58 lbs. with the seat belt latch mechanism removed. The weight for a GT3 seat with anti-submarine bar (Porsche part #),Schroth 6-point harness and seat belt latch (for DOT legal belts) is 35.9 lbs. Leaving off the sub bar at 2.4 lbs. and the 6-point harness at 4.5 lbs, the basic seat with seat belt latch which would be the minimum requirement is 29 lbs.

Total weight loss if you don't plan to have harness setup is 58 lbs. If you, as I do, plan to add harness assemblies, the total weight savings is only 44 lbs.

I weighed the Tequipment roll bar (with cross bar) and all the associated fasteners, etc. and it weighs in at 31 lbs. This change of seats and adding roll bar gives me a net loss of 13 lbs. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

Oh well, the Optima Red Top 35 came today and that should net me another -20 lbs including the weight of the mount I plan to build for it.
Al I have the same set up and definately the best stuff I have done to my car. The bar is top quality and adds stiffness to the chasis and safety. the seats are unbelievable!! and the harnesses you chose are the best, bar none!! All top quality stuff and will add to driving pleasure and certainly speed and saftey at the track, good moves no matter what the weight!!

Last edited by tom kerr; 02-12-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 PM
rwm514 will become famous soon enoughrwm514 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
Are any of you guys doing the 996 GT3RS console delete? I did it to my car and it was a weight loss of about 7 lbs.
Is there a write up for this?
Is there a kit needed?

Old 02-12-2007, 11:48 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I don't know, you can order the part straight from Porsche. It is a peice of plastic with carpet on it and another plastic peice. It replaces the cubbie hole and or the extra CD holders.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
This list is coming together very well. A big thanks to all of you that have added input.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
When I add back the larger and heavier Nitto tires, I am at about net zero. That's OK, I'm not going for the lightweight award nor the highest horsepower one. I wll feel and BE safer when I gain the courage to do a DE.

For those of you considering the Schroth harness assembly, do not buy the model distruibuted by Porsche. The name at the top of the instruction sheet is Betriebs- und Einbauanleitung. When I saw that, I knew I was in trouble. My main reason for returning it is the statement NICHT kompatibel mit HANS. I know virtually no German, but I figured out that one. I expect that Schroth does have systems that are.

Originally Posted by tom kerr
Al I have the same set up and definately the best stuff I have done to my car. The bar is top quality and adds stiffness to the chasis and safety. the seats are unbelievable!! and the harnesses you chose are the best, bar none!! All top quality stuff and will add to driving pleasure and certainly speed and saftey at the track, good moves no matter what the weight!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List