996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:53 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Al first of all there initially was no such thing as a HANS compatable harness. They all were. Then some makers to make the top of the belt fit over the HANS shoulder plastic better went to a 2 inch taper at the top ie Schroth.

Both 2 or 3 inch harness WILL fit with the HANS regardless, just one possibly more comfortable.

I ordered the HANS compatable for the driver side and the 3 inch harness for the passenger side.

The Profi II-6 HANS is our most popular belt. It is the perfect solution for a touring car. It features the 2" lap Flexi Lap Belt, the T-bar sub strap and the HANS Specific 2"/3" shoulder belts. All points are wrapped in, so you can add almost any end fitting for your specific application.
The HANS specific shoulder belts are designed to make HANS use safer and more comfortable. The belts start as 3" webbing at the cam lock, then after the length adjuster they are 2" webbing which fits completely on the HANS yoke. This gives you the optimal force distribution, entirely on the surface of the HANS. A standard 3" belt will work, however some of the load is not distributed on the HANS. This also can be a comfort issue with some of the webbing falling off the HANS.
Another important feature of the HANS specific shoulder belts is the ability to move the anchor points towards each other to acheive the perfect installation geometry. This will help in the Post-Impact phase - very important in a roll-over situation as well.
The main premise behind the 2" lap belt is one of added safety. A 2" belt rides within the crest of the human pelvis where a 3" belt would rest on the edges. This allows you to get the belt up to an inch and a half tighter. That means the lap belt will be working earlier in the accident event because it gets loaded faster. It's also more comfortable and easier to adjust becuase there's less friction through the adjuster.
Another feature unique to the Profi Series 2" lap belts is the "Flexi Belt". The End Fittings and Cam Latches are wrapped into the harness, making it so that the lap belt can be changed from a Pull Up configuration to a Pull Down. This allows you to set the belt up just the way you want it for your specific situation. It also allows for Bolt In brackets to be wrapped in for the lap belts if needed. Snap in brackets come standard on the laps.
Comes with Snap-In attachments at Lap and Sub points. The Shoulders come ready to be wrapped around a roll-bar. Snap or Bolt attachments can be purchased separately. Available in Black, Blue, Red & Silver.

Part Number ColorPrice sr 20013Black$310.00Ordersr 20113Blue$310.00Ordersr 20213Red$310.00Order

DocumentsCompetition Instructions (4.85 MB)
Related ItemsBolt In End Fitting KitsSnap On End Fittings

However, I agree with going to the Schroth site to order. Mine have no german on it.

As for tires you know tires like the michelin slicks are MUCH lighter than street tires.

Last edited by tom kerr; 02-14-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Im not sure if anyone did it.. but I will try since my seats are out... my Mechanic told me that the heavy carpet front and back is somewhere around 80 lbs... Its the foam like stuff thats heavy... I think one can shave off the heavy part and just leave the carpet.
Depending on what ur going for but the side door panels and all the airbags are heavy too...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Updated (wheels section)

Old 02-15-2007, 02:26 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Im not sure if anyone did it.. but I will try since my seats are out... my Mechanic told me that the heavy carpet front and back is somewhere around 80 lbs... Its the foam like stuff thats heavy... I think one can shave off the heavy part and just leave the carpet.
Depending on what ur going for but the side door panels and all the airbags are heavy too...
markski
Your turning your car into a race-car???? Leave all the stuff...there is PLENTY of power for a nine second pass even with all that extra weight...at the rate your going with removing all the interior, exterior stuff, changing brakes, Carbon this and Carbon that, your car is going to wind up in the high 8's !!!!

Oh and who needs the ABS system anyways...

(cant wait to see this thing go!!)

Old 02-15-2007, 02:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Your turning your car into a race-car???? Leave all the stuff...there is PLENTY of power for a nine second pass even with all that extra weight...at the rate your going with removing all the interior, exterior stuff, changing brakes, Carbon this and Carbon that, your car is going to wind up in the high 8's !!!!

Oh and who needs the ABS system anyways...

(cant wait to see this thing go!!)
Alex,
its getting closer LOL it's all about getting rid of wheel hop as Im sure u know...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-15-2007, 02:45 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Alex,
its getting closer LOL it's all about getting rid of wheel hop as Im sure u know...
markski
Loosing 1000lb's to get rid of wheel hop???? Thats like using a SHOTGUN to kill a FLY!!!!

Lets add a 75shot of Nos and by the time you cross the quarter mile you would have dropped another 6lb's (from the rubber that melted off the tires)...When is Tulsa????

Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Tom,

I spoke with someone yesterday who said that Jim Downing designed the HANS device originally and the person I spoke with saw him at some major race wearing 3" sholder straps and that the 3" will work just fine with HANS. I ordered 3" for both sides with some mounting hardware and a DVD how-to---all in english. Think they're coming from the person whose website segment you posted.

Originally Posted by tom kerr
Al first of all there initially was no such thing as a HANS compatable harness. They all were. Then some makers to make the top of the belt fit over the HANS shoulder plastic better went to a 2 inch taper at the top ie Schroth.

Both 2 or 3 inch harness WILL fit with the HANS regardless, just one possibly more comfortable.

I ordered the HANS compatable for the driver side and the 3 inch harness for the passenger side.

The Profi II-6 HANS is our most popular belt. It is the perfect solution for a touring car. It features the 2" lap Flexi Lap Belt, the T-bar sub strap and the HANS Specific 2"/3" shoulder belts. All points are wrapped in, so you can add almost any end fitting for your specific application.
The HANS specific shoulder belts are designed to make HANS use safer and more comfortable. The belts start as 3" webbing at the cam lock, then after the length adjuster they are 2" webbing which fits completely on the HANS yoke. This gives you the optimal force distribution, entirely on the surface of the HANS. A standard 3" belt will work, however some of the load is not distributed on the HANS. This also can be a comfort issue with some of the webbing falling off the HANS.
Another important feature of the HANS specific shoulder belts is the ability to move the anchor points towards each other to acheive the perfect installation geometry. This will help in the Post-Impact phase - very important in a roll-over situation as well.
The main premise behind the 2" lap belt is one of added safety. A 2" belt rides within the crest of the human pelvis where a 3" belt would rest on the edges. This allows you to get the belt up to an inch and a half tighter. That means the lap belt will be working earlier in the accident event because it gets loaded faster. It's also more comfortable and easier to adjust becuase there's less friction through the adjuster.
Another feature unique to the Profi Series 2" lap belts is the "Flexi Belt". The End Fittings and Cam Latches are wrapped into the harness, making it so that the lap belt can be changed from a Pull Up configuration to a Pull Down. This allows you to set the belt up just the way you want it for your specific situation. It also allows for Bolt In brackets to be wrapped in for the lap belts if needed. Snap in brackets come standard on the laps.
Comes with Snap-In attachments at Lap and Sub points. The Shoulders come ready to be wrapped around a roll-bar. Snap or Bolt attachments can be purchased separately. Available in Black, Blue, Red & Silver.

Part Number ColorPrice sr 20013Black$310.00Ordersr 20113Blue$310.00Ordersr 20213Red$310.00Order

DocumentsCompetition Instructions (4.85 MB)
Related ItemsBolt In End Fitting KitsSnap On End Fittings

However, I agree with going to the Schroth site to order. Mine have no german on it.

As for tires you know tires like the michelin slicks are MUCH lighter than street tires.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:35 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Tom,

I spoke with someone yesterday who said that Jim Downing designed the HANS device originally and the person I spoke with saw him at some major race wearing 3" sholder straps and that the 3" will work just fine with HANS. I ordered 3" for both sides with some mounting hardware and a DVD how-to---all in english. Think they're coming from the person whose website segment you posted.
Sounds good Al, you wont believe the difference!! Good move on the HANS your family will thank you.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Got the scales out again for some weighing exercise.
Front differential 52.0 lbs. Driveshaft 6 lbs, 10 oz. Half shafts 12 lbs. 2 oz. the pair. Total for removing these items -71.0 lbs. I have also seen it as 68 lbs. Difference in scales, I presume.

The little bumperettes on the rear are 2 lbs. 7 oz. the pair. Nose and tail not off the car today or would have weighed the aluminum supports.

Weighed the stock clutch/pressure plate/disc/flywheel at 46 lbs. Difference with light-weight flywheel and different clutch assembly to follow.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
Now if only I could get one of your hot-rod turbo motors in my 2777lb 996 I'd have a rocketship! Has anyone looked at lightening a base 2940lb 996 and adding your motors? I don't even have CF panels on the car. Just Battery, seats, no spare/tools, no cats, lt wt flywheel, and lightweight 5 spokes. Might be able to get in the high 2600's if I try hard!

Still wish I had a turbo

Great info -

PS- anyone try a sunroof delete w/ cf panel. Wonder what that'd save?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Front differential 52.0 lbs. Driveshaft 6 lbs, 10 oz. Half shafts 12 lbs. 2 oz. the pair. Total for removing these items -71.0 lbs. I have also seen it as 68 lbs. Difference in scales, I presume.

The little bumperettes on the rear are 2 lbs. 7 oz. the pair. Nose and tail not off the car today or would have weighed the aluminum supports.

Weighed the stock clutch/pressure plate/disc/flywheel at 46 lbs. Difference with light-weight flywheel and different clutch assembly to follow.
Al, good stuff and good project, thanks for sharing the info with us.
I tried to rep you but it wouldnt let me!!
tom

Old 02-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Not concerned about the reps, but thanks. Go to the Tequipment Rollbar thread.. Posted you a funny. Well Hell, funny to me.

Originally Posted by tom kerr
Al, good stuff and good project, thanks for sharing the info with us.
I tried to rep you but it wouldnt let me!!
tom

Old 02-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Damn. I don't know how the heck I got 120 lbs when I weighed mine, but if two different people got within 4 lbs of one another, I imagine your numbers are right and mine are wrong. I'll remove my numbers the list. Thanks, Al.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:08 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Ok, so right now...in my 01 996TT...

I have done..

Stock seats out-Recaro SPG seats in (2)
taken out the rear shelf
converted to a stationary, CF gt2 wing
B&B headers and exhaust
taken out a massive foam piece above where the suspension hooks up (feels like 30 lbs)
JRZ Clubsport RSpro...as to be lighter then the huge stock pieces...

anyone know about where I am...also, will be using Fiske wheels with Hoosier rubber during competition

Old 02-19-2007, 01:29 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
Ok, so right now...in my 01 996TT...

I have done..

Stock seats out-Recaro SPG seats in (2)
taken out the rear shelf
converted to a stationary, CF gt2 wing
B&B headers and exhaust
taken out a massive foam piece above where the suspension hooks up (feels like 30 lbs)
JRZ Clubsport RSpro...as to be lighter then the huge stock pieces...

anyone know about where I am...also, will be using Fiske wheels with Hoosier rubber during competition
Please weigh it and tell us.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List