Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Questions about db9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Questions about db9

Considering getting a db9 and was looking at 05 and newer. Found several 05 and 06 and a few 07 in my search. Wanted to know what are the differences in the years for db9? What are know pitfalls and advice for db9 owners, any issues with the cars, how is the reliability, and maintenance/avg operating costs? I have not heard much by way of reliability good or bad, or if an aftermarket warranty is recommended ... Or what are some things to look out for when shopping for a used db9. So definitely any advice you may have will help!

The cars look the same thru the years I notice the 07 seems to have different seats, I assume power outputs are the same? I also like the clear rear taillights. What else are changes thru the build years and what do you guys recommend. I'm looking at in the $70 - $85k range at best value, and options for the right car w color combo and options package I like (gillies green and the various blues caught my eye so far, and the bevy of nice woods and complimentary leathers & stitching)... Also what do you guys think about 6 speed manual vs the automatic gearbox, the manual seems a lot more rare is it more desirable, coming from the Porsche world it appeals to me a bit more... But how are the transmissions both of them, the auto and the manual.

Thanks a bunch guys, first foray into Aston community, I've always loved these cars and thought they looked exquisite. I hope to own one in the near future and appreciate your vital feedback, both good and bad.

Last edited by sunir; 12-28-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:34 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Buy Grant's book (The Definitive Guide to Gaydon era Aston Martin) before you do anything and read it thru. It will answer all of your questions far better than anyone here can.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Just wanted to add that I am looking for a fixed roof car - coupe. Not interested in a convertible although they are lovely, for my db9 it defonately has to be a coupe, and I am glad Aston does not seem to have sunroofs on their coupe roofs, I never liked sunroofs, moonroofs, or anything that cuts a hole in one of the most important panels of a rigid chassis, not to mention adding additional weight to the hightest point in the chassis

Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Buy Grant's book (The Definitive Guide to Gaydon era Aston Martin) before you do anything and read it thru. It will answer all of your questions far better than anyone here can.
Good advice will do that where to get that- google it? Perhaps amazon. For now just looking for whatever advice I can get, I have my target on a couple of specific db9 cars (one auto the other manual) ... I have to give my intent on one of them by the end of the work week so hopefully some advice here can set the tone for me... But def will read the book you recommended

Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 PM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
I bought an ‘05 1 year ago with 7500 miles on it for $60K. It is a daily driver and have over 15K on it now. First off, I'm in love & still look forward to driving it every time. I've owned other luxury & sports cars with more amenities & power respectively, but have not had the same "emotional" connection. Test drive the V8V…it’s more sporty & responsive, the DB9 is truly a GT feel.

Issues:
Annoying but ignorable that you'll see mentioned all over the forum:...constant warning lights for tire pressure system & emissions. The “upgraded” sound system (mine is the Linn) is not impressive and AM radio is painful.
I am also having a noisy problem with the cabin air flow temperature actuator, but no one else chimed in as having this issue, so maybe I’m just lucky.

If getting the auto/paddle shift, there have been problems with cracked/leaky oil hoses for the gearbox. This is an easy fix...get new hoses instead of having to replace your gearbox if you spring a leak & don't notice. I had my hoses custom made to be an improvement, but new will do. A non dealer Aston mechanic is key for stuff like this, and saving you prob 50% on all maintenance & service….if you have that option in MD.

I have not had oil leak issues, but have cardboard under the car & check all the time.
It's an American deal, but I wish I had a cupholder, and the newer versions do (I don't know when this started). Some would call this a sin, but I like to enjoy my coffee with my drive.

Lastly I have rock chipped the hell out of my front end, and a bit on the front bottom of the rear wheel well & newer versions had protective stickers put there. I highly recommend a clear bra versus the repaint that is in my ultimate future. Don't wait on this if you plan on driving the car!...a big regret for me.

Even with all this, I’m still in love, and am thankful I made the choice to join the club and enjoy a car that is both beautiful to look at & beautiful to drive. Good luck in whatever decision you go with!

-Micah

Old 12-29-2011, 08:26 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
First, decide on the seats. 05-06 look great but are narrower, 07 and up are considerably more forgiving in the buttocks/shoulders area...but they don't match the rear seat design like the 05-06 front seats do. You need to sit in the two styles of seats to make sure before you buy.

Then decide on manual vs automatic. Manuals are hard to find, especially later years. You best chance in finding a manual coupe is with the 05-06, but then there is the seat issue.

The rest really doesn't mean a whole hill of beans since the cars are completely equipped from the factory.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Nice advice guys, keep 'em coming .... I like both style seats the 05 and the 07 but the only recent Aston I've sat in was an 08 or 09 V8V. So nothing really to compare to the DB9 seats.

Are the gearboxes reliable? I see most are automatic/paddle shift... I have found one or two 6spd manual cars, are those boxes more reliable? I know they are rarer but is it worth paying more of a premium for a true manual car vs. an automatic/paddle shift car??

any advice would be appreciated, thank you again kind sirs

Old 12-29-2011, 01:50 PM
V8V seats are the same as DB9.

You should pay less for a manual because they are harder to sell (very limited market compared to TT2 box).

I don't think there is a reliablity issue between manual and TT2. Sportshift seem to be somewhat problematical, but those are only on the V8V.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Happy new years! Jan 1 bump!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
I've driven a 08-09 v8v, one 09 db9 vert, and one 10 db9 coupe and an 11 DBS. All were automatic which I found to be awful. My e46 m3 SMG tranny was better in my opinion other then the DBS. Was expecting much more power wise out of both the v8v and the db9, but man do they sound fantastic. They have beautiful interiors, but the nav unit is absolute garbage. They are very pretty and are great GT cars, but I'd never replace the GT2 with one. That being said, ive also seen someone put down a lap record in the wet in a DBS at summit main so there is no doubt they can perform.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 AM
^^^ not replacing the gt2, considering the Aston in addition

Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Recently sold my manual DB9 and I'd never have considered the auto, even after driving one. If you have "sporting" aspirations then get the manual (made in Italy!) and the sports pack. Rare yes, but worth the wait if you can find one...

Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Marcos91 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Red Devil
Recently sold my manual DB9 and I'd never have considered the auto, even after driving one. If you have "sporting" aspirations then get the manual (made in Italy!) and the sports pack. Rare yes, but worth the wait if you can find one...
My DB7 had the TouchTronic 1 system, and although it really was very good, evening punting me round the track at a decent lick, I decided my next Aston would be a manual.

I waited for a while and when a manual DB9 Volante came up (in green!!!) I had to have it. Absolutely no regrets, the Graziano 6 speed rear-mounted transaxle box is a joy and turns the DB9 into a very potent car when you want it to be, otherwise you can just cruise in sixth from 40mph upwards, everywhere. However, the TT2 system is supposed to be fantastic but it does blunt the performance due to the torque coverter, plus a lot of the drama is removed.

Try them both, bear in mind the manual box needs to warm its oil before it becomes slick from first to second. It's such a torquey car that it suits the box and *ALL* the best Grand Tourers in history have been manual, not auto

You might well pay less for a manual car now, but one day I think they will attract a premium, partly due to rarity and partly due to it being pretty much the only manual V12 car on the market these days, and there are always people who want manual cars. Both gearboxes are very reliable, never heard of a failure in the UK.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ not replacing the gt2, considering the Aston in addition
roger that, I'd say just get a manual and you'll be set.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
^^^ there is no substitute for the GT2, it's the original truly brutal and violent widowmaker! ahhh wait there is an exception for one car...the GT2RS!!! ....when I really want to drive and am not on the track piloting my race car, the GT2 is my go-to...so much the perfect car for country roads, mountains, switchbacks, isolated areas hidden from the prying eyes of the law lol!!! hahaha

On the other hand, the Aston will be my grand tourer replacing my current SL55 AMG. She will be something I enjoy driving long distances, taking on vacations and scenic drives, and out to dinner or what have you in the city. Or simply just stare at for hours as she is that beautiful, I've always thought the Gaydon era Astons were simply astonishing by way of their body, shape and design.