Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley Continental GT 2005 Overheating/Power Loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:34 AM
samy999 is on a distinguished road
Bentley Continental GT 2005 Overheating/Power Loss

Hi Guys,

I have a Bentley GT Continental 2005 (Non Mulliner, UK SPEC) and I have always maintained it at Bentley, car has 12 Bentley service stamps and only has 53k Miles.

Despite it's great history I am now facing a problem with the car.

Problem: After occasional around town driving or motorway driving I get the 'Overheating' Message pop up on the dash. The temperature is fine and the radiator fans are all spinning fine. And when this happens the car loses power when trying to accelerate, I can feel the engine hesitating...waiting for it to just cut off.

I normally pull up to the side, turn the car off and then on again, and it's like nothing happened.

On top of that I am not sure if this is linked but when I accelerate anything above 30 mph I hear excessive humming noise which is concurrent.

I have used error code scanners (3 different ones that show no codes or errors), oil levels are fine, coolant levels are fine. brake fluid is fine.

Has anyone here experienced anything like this? when I had the Bentley service couple of months ago no such thing was picked up by their extensive health check. No lights or errors on the dash

Help would be much appreciated thanks

Update: I have added an image of one of the symptoms/errors

Last edited by samy999; 08-23-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added image
Old 08-23-2017, 12:40 PM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Samy.

If you are anywhere near Crewe, there's a great Indie there.
Failing that, I would search out an Indie in your area. Some of us on here are not overly impressed with the main stealers unfortunately.

Les.

Last edited by ExSF; 08-24-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:31 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, take it for service and let us know the results and costs.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by samy999
Hi Guys,

I have a Bentley GT Continental 2005 (Non Mulliner, UK SPEC) and I have always maintained it at Bentley, car has 12 Bentley service stamps and only has 53k Miles.

Despite it's great history I am now facing a problem with the car.

Problem: After occasional around town driving or motorway driving I get the 'Overheating' Message pop up on the dash. The temperature is fine and the radiator fans are all spinning fine. And when this happens the car loses power when trying to accelerate, I can feel the engine hesitating...waiting for it to just cut off.

I normally pull up to the side, turn the car off and then on again, and it's like nothing happened.

On top of that I am not sure if this is linked but when I accelerate anything above 30 mph I hear excessive humming noise which is concurrent.

I have used error code scanners (3 different ones that show no codes or errors), oil levels are fine, coolant levels are fine. brake fluid is fine.

Has anyone here experienced anything like this? when I had the Bentley service couple of months ago no such thing was picked up by their extensive health check. No lights or errors on the dash

Help would be much appreciated thanks
Hello Samy,
See all of the links below.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...g-warning.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...my-engine.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ing-noise.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cuum-leak.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...any-input.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ose-issue.html

Old 08-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Hi Samy.

If you are anywhere Crewe, there's a great Indie there.
Failing that, I would search out an Indie in your area. Some of us on here are not overly impressed with the main stealers unfortunately.

Les.
I am based in Luton, Bedfordshire, UK. I found a few but they are quite far out so thought I'd do my own diagnosis based on internet research. You are indeed correct the prices they charge for general diagnostic and servicing is simply a big joke. I used to have my 2015 CLS 63 AMG and the major service on that car was only £282 hah, And to service a bentley gt 2005 at HR OWEN London cost me £645 for minor servicing (Fixed price offer)

I understand the exclusivity of the Bentley name but they simply shouldn't just rip off customers because of the brand name, it's a shame really

Old 08-23-2017, 02:53 PM
Yes, take it for service and let us know the results and costs.
Car was serviced but nothing popped up under their usual checks as part of the servicing and health check. I think I will do further diagnosis before I take it to an indie thanks

Old 08-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Thank you very much for the links, I will definitely read through these tonight, I just hope it's an easy fix and doesn't involve the engine being removed as I know the costs are insane :-(

Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 PM
ssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura about
Old 08-24-2017, 03:48 AM
dusty30_0 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I have a CGT 2005 I've owned for two years now. Main dealer maintained every year, 47k miles and 14 stamps.

Exactly the same problem with humming over 30mph. Traced to the nearside front wheel bearing being worn. Confirmed by GT Services in Cheshire, who come well regarded on this forum. Might be worth checking?

kind regards

mick

Old 09-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help, sorry for the delayed reply, I haven't had the chance to get the GT checked yet. But I just came across some one else's thread were another user is experiencing similar whining hissing sounds like me, see below:

See their thread here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nental-gt.html

They posted this audio clip which matches my noise:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gafmdljrae...er%29.mp3?dl=0

Will keep this thread updated so others can use information :-)

Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 AM
ysf
ysf is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Samy,

I have the same problem, how you did find a solution for this problem ?

Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 AM
aleventhal is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ysf
Hi Samy,

I have the same problem, how you did find a solution for this problem ?
The problem is the exhaust gas temperature sensor. Definitely. It is a known problem. Usually passenger side (in the US - prolly driver side in UK). Do both to be safe - they are cheap and easy to change from the top. Not a problem.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:24 AM
ysf
Originally Posted by aleventhal
The problem is the exhaust gas temperature sensor. Definitely. It is a known problem. Usually passenger side (in the US - prolly driver side in UK). Do both to be safe - they are cheap and easy to change from the top. Not a problem.
aftrr you changed the exhaust gas temperature sensor than the problem of OVERHEATING was finished?

Old 09-27-2017, 10:51 AM
aleventhal is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ysf
aftrr you changed the exhaust gas temperature sensor than the problem of OVERHEATING was finished?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. If the water temp gauge is fine, but you are getting the overheating warning anyway, then the problem is a bad EGT sensor. Change that, and the overheat warning will go away. This is a common and well known issue, easily resolved.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:49 AM
ysf
dear Sammy,

Just i did ask for the sensor by the dealer, but thay say there 2 of this sensors, 1 for the first cilinderbank and 1 for the second cilinderbank, how i can know which cilinderbank i have to change ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.