Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Can I disable the check pads light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:17 PM
whupwhup is on a distinguished road
Can I disable the check pads light?

Hi all,

Is there a secret way to disable the check brake pads system? I have an 06 flying spur. The check brake pads light comes on all the time. I've had the brakes /rotors replaced, had the wear sensors replaced and still no luck. They surmise there is a short or some signal issue in the main harness. Its a nuisance for sure. I was wondering if there is a process to disable it, much like the way you can disable/deprogram the car from looking for TPMS.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2018, 04:53 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by whupwhup
Hi all,

Is there a secret way to disable the check brake pads system? I have an 06 flying spur. The check brake pads light comes on all the time. I've had the brakes /rotors replaced, had the wear sensors replaced and still no luck. They surmise there is a short or some signal issue in the main harness. Its a nuisance for sure. I was wondering if there is a process to disable it, much like the way you can disable/deprogram the car from looking for TPMS.

Thanks
Just to clarify, Is the light on with key on, but before you start the engine? And, since you said "all the time" means not going on/off when brakes are depressed?

I don't have the answer about programming the module out of the Bus, but I'm wondering if a fuse powers only that circuit and not other devices. Also, if the light circuit is integrated into the brake module, then programming that module out would likely take out the entire ABS, etc.
I don't have the fuse #. I'll take a look at some of my VCDS scans to see what the brake module scan data show.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by BWings
Just to clarify, Is the light on with key on, but before you start the engine? And, since you said "all the time" means not going on/off when brakes are depressed?

I don't have the answer about programming the module out of the Bus, but I'm wondering if a fuse powers only that circuit and not other devices. Also, if the light circuit is integrated into the brake module, then programming that module out would likely take out the entire ABS, etc.
I don't have the fuse #. I'll take a look at some of my VCDS scans to see what the brake module scan data show.
The brakepad sensor system is faulty. So it sometime turns on, sometimes it doesn't. I can go a full day without the "Check brake pads" warning light coming on. Or have it turn on right away as I'm leaving my driveway.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:17 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
After looking at my VCDS scan, I don't see a module that could possibly be taken off line like the TPMS, that would isolate the brake warning lights alone. There is an ABS module, and a parking brake module. If anything, the brake light warning system seems it would be integral to the ABS.

I see two possible easy tries, possible being the operative - See if there is an isolated fuse for the lights and pull it (probably not); or, if it is convenient for you, unplug all four sensor pigtails. It unplugging the sensors works then your short is in the sensors. If not, then back to square one.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Just checked and I cannot find a separate fuse in all three locations that is IDed as brake wear sensors. So, unfortunately, I think they're probably on the same circuit as ABS. It would make sense as the wheel sensors should be part of ABS.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Damn...well, I appreciate you looking.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:02 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
can u put a resitor on the brakepad sensor

Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Whup,
One thing is confusing, you state "I've had the brakes /rotors replaced, had the wear sensors replaced and still no luck." the problem with that statement is, you had the brake pads I assume and rotors replaced, you then go on to state that you had the "wear sensors replaced", you can not have the wear sensors replaced as they are built into the pads.

Hi all,

Thanks

Old 05-19-2018, 05:15 PM
I had the sensor wiring replaced. Still didnt fix it. I'm aware the sensor is in the pad, but there is a wiring system that communicates with the car's wear indicator. We thought maybe there's a bad wire somewhere. Anyhow, it didnt fix it.

Last edited by whupwhup; 05-19-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
I had the sensor wiring replaced. Still didnt fix it. I'm aware the sensor is in the pad, but there is a wiring system that communicates with the car's wear indicator. We thought maybe there's a bad wire somewhere. Anyhow, it didnt fix it.
Okay, got it,
How about the rear pads on the FS, I believe they do not have built in sensors in the pads and go by the pad thickness as determined by the electronic parking brake system by way of calculating motor travel of said PB's, on my A8L W12 I use Ross-Tech to reset the pad thickness when replacing pads to 9-12mm iirc, when I did not enter the new pad thickness during my brake job once I got just what you have, if you did all those steps correctly, we will think some more, and I'll phone a friend...

Old 05-19-2018, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
by way of calculating motor travel of said PB's, on my A8L W12 I use Ross-Tech to reset the pad thickness when replacing pads to 9-12mm iirc, when I did not enter the new pad thickness during my brake job once I got just what you have, if you did all those steps correctly, we will think some more, and I'll phone a friend...
Oh, that's a great point. I'll have to get that checked out. Wont happen till next weekend. Monday is a holiday and I'm traveling rest of the week. Thanks - will post what I find out.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:48 AM
gtjay is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all,

Thanks
I took the pigtail that plugs into the pad sensor and used a piece of regular speaker wire and jumped the terminals to eachother and it worked for me turning off the light