Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Overheating warning in 3rd Gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 08:48 AM
DR3ADKN0T is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating warning in 3rd Gear

So I saw this once before but it went away before I could really look but last night while driving in Sport mode I started getting overheating warnings while in 3rd gear. I immediately switched to standard driving mode and the car switched into 5th at the same speed and pretty soon after the warning went away. Is this an issue with being in too low of a gear at the wrong speed or is something up with the computer? I didn’t see my engine temp rise so perhaps its my transmission temp its referring to. Anyone seen this before?

Old 08-14-2021, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @DR3ADKN0T ,
Most likely you have a failing EGT sensor, EGT = exhaust gas temperature, iirc it is usually the passenger side sensor, a scan will tell us.

Johnny

Old 08-15-2021, 06:11 AM
Thanks, it happened again yesterday while in 5th gear, almost exact same place it happened before too. Do you know if that warning will cause the car to shut down at all? I noticed right before it happened almost felt like the car slipped out of gear for a second. Worried if I should try to get it fixed before I can drive back to IL or if I should be good to make I back. I didn’t see it at all on my drive down and only seen it twice for about 60 secs and then nothing.

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @DR3ADKN0T ,
Most likely you have a failing EGT sensor, EGT = exhaust gas temperature, iirc it is usually the passenger side sensor, a scan will tell us.

Johnny

Old 08-15-2021, 04:45 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
@DR3ADKN0T ,
I have never experienced this fault myself, others here have, and I wouldn't want to give you any unclear answer, so hopefully someone whom has had this issue will chime in...

FWIW, I recall reading loss of power, as the fault puts the engine into somewhat of a protective mode,, my feeling is that is as long as your engine temperature is normal, you should be ok, did you bring your Ross-Tech VCDS with you ?

I recently purchased the "Pro" VCDS from Ross-Tech, it's mobile, and wireless, so I carry always now... 😅

Old 08-15-2021, 04:55 PM
Administrator
Old 08-15-2021, 05:23 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7...-good-2850845/

FWIW

This Audi link discusses the changing of the circuit board. Within the link is the contact of the individual in Poland who makes the circuit boards. Anyone wishing to do this repair can email him and indicate that it's for a Bentley. The circuit board is quite a bit less than buying a new exhaust gas temperature sensor. This may or may not be the issue for the original posting. However for those who will experience the exhaust temperature sensor fault the link might be helpful!

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 08-15-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Thank you @1eapplebaum !

Johnny Hotspur GT

Old 08-18-2021, 12:55 PM
Thanks all. Found another forum talking about the same Overheating alerts and Bentley diagnosed it as EGT as well. xhttps://www.rollsroyceforums.com/threads/continetial-gt-overheat-warning-but-its-not-overheating.2688/

Odd thing is that always happens at the EXACT same physical location every time. It’s 3 times its gone off in the same spot on route A1A. I get that doesn’t really make any sense but part of me wonders if something there is causing disruption.

Last edited by DR3ADKN0T; 08-18-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:34 PM
So def looks like my EGT is going bad. Just reached out to Andrzej @ SID Motorsport and he was real quick to respond. I ordered 2 circuit boards, figured might as well replace them both. 76 euros including shipping, hard to beat the price.