996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
das sport roll bar= really heavy
I'll be throwing my piggy on the scale in a little bit

Old 12-26-2011, 09:11 AM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ttboost
I kept a spreadsheet of all my weight loss mods (posted on this thread too). I did most of the same mods and was down to 250lbs and did NOT gut my interior...so my guess is you are way over 300lbs down now...pretty cool...
all things considered, I may be over 300 lb down...

my ultimate goal is to be as light as possible while remaining SAFE and still have music in the car. On that note, this is why my new audio setup I'm working on will consist of a single din eXcelon, 2 ch focal amp, and ONE pair of focal 3-ways up front. All of the bose is removed.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
wow, just weighed my Das Sport roll bar with installation hardware and it came to almost 62 lbs!

Also...what exactly have people "gutted" from their doors? I imagine I'll remove the panels when I install the new speakers so that would be a good time to find a few more useless lbs

Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 PM
I finished up the seats and with the brackets and everything they were about 17 lbs lighter per seat. didn't get any pics yet as I'm probably going to pull them out soon to refinish my roll bar. It has some chipped paint in areas so I'll probably sand it down and hit it with a fresh coat of black.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Which seats?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 AM
status ring in cf/cloth. the seats were much lighter but I ordered mounting bases from Wedge Engineering and they are pretty heavy.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I've long wanted to provide some detailed feedback on quantified weight reduction. Finally I get my chance!

I've removed the wing motor and hydraulic lines and I've quantified the weight loss, which was absolutely less than I hoped for...but this is quite normal I'm afraid.

I busted out my most accurate scale, which can measure to the thousandth of a pound (max capacity is only 6.6 pounds) and I took pictures for you all so that there would no longer be any doubt or speculation about what the parts weigh.

Picture 1: Bare motor/lines (3.782 pounds)
Picture 2: Motor/lines plus associated mounting hardware (3.863 pounds)
Picture 3: Motor/lines plus all free up parts/hardware (3.946 pounds)

So, we're talking about just under 4 pounds for the entire assembly for everything pictured in picture 3.

Attached Images    
Old 01-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Some time ago I removed the rear wiper, rear wiper motor, and all associated hardware (and installed a BumperPlugs.com exterior body colored plug)

This scale is accurate to the thousandth of a pound.

Picture 1: Bare rear wiper motor (2.616 pounds)
Picture 2: Wiper motor plus wiper and mounting hardware (3.713 pounds)

I also removed the rear cabin panel plus insulation that hides the wiper motor assembly (my car is black, doesn't stand out) but don't have those parts available for weighing at this time. If I come up with those, I'll add them to the list.

Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2012, 12:32 PM
One last thing that I had sitting around (and weighs under 6.6 pounds so can be weighed on this accurate scale) is a set of factory wheel lugs for the 996TT. I'm currently using Agency Power black lugs, so had these sitting around.

Picture 1: All wheel lugs (plus plastic bag): 3.994 pounds

There wasn't any real practical way to weigh them without the bag, but I think we can agree it wouldn't be too much added weight!

So, figure 4 pounds for factory 996TT wheel lugs.

Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2012, 02:41 PM
msv
msv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to behold
Factory GT2 and 996TT Deck Lid and Wing Weights

I've searched and gone through this whole thread and maybe I missed it, but most of the weights I've seen listed for the deck lids are conjecture. All I have seen are things like "it weighs about xx"

I installed a factory GT2 lid and wing on my 996TT today, so I had the opportunity to weigh both on a scale that measures to the nearest 0.01 lb

Both were weighed in the same condition. No fan and no latch striker plate, but otherwise complete.

996TT: 24.50 lbs
GT2: 26.59 lbs

The GT2 lid and wing actually add 2.1 lbs vs. the factory deck lid even with all of the hydraulics intact.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM
msv,

Thanks for taking the time to determine that real weight difference between the GT2 and Turbo decklids...good stuff. I cannot help but think that the vaguer weight comparisons made on this thread might be based on the factory Turbo decklid versus aftermarket (ie: Misha, Getty Designs, etc.) GT2 style decklids. It's probably less common for people to get their hands on a factory GT2 decklid. Well done!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by msv
I've searched and gone through this whole thread and maybe I missed it, but most of the weights I've seen listed for the deck lids are conjecture. All I have seen are things like "it weighs about xx"

I installed a factory GT2 lid and wing on my 996TT today, so I had the opportunity to weigh both on a scale that measures to the nearest 0.01 lb

Both were weighed in the same condition. No fan and no latch striker plate, but otherwise complete.

996TT: 24.50 lbs
GT2: 26.59 lbs

The GT2 lid and wing actually add 2.1 lbs vs. the factory deck lid even with all of the hydraulics intact.
Sorry to bother you.Do you know how much weight is the hydraulic intact of the 996tt ?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM
msv
msv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to behold
If you look 3 posts before mine, you will see Steve Theodore posted weights and pictures of all of it.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Thanks,botom line there is not weight saving .

Old 01-21-2012, 10:05 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I said this a long time ago that the weight difference wasn't that much, if any. My Misha GT2 wing was only a couple of lbs lighter than the factory Turbo wing. Can't remember if I posted it in this thread or another.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List