996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
Krazy been thinking about your issue(s). Not sure where you tapped into the switched power. Your door opening shouldn't cause your ipad screen to light up. I would recommend tapping into the phone plug for power and ground directly to th chasis. This thread will take you through how to do it. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...r-dummies.html. I'll pull my iPad tomorrow and try to post some screen shots of the software stuff and give you a call to walk through it.

To keep you screen from dimming go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock > Never. The on/off with the ignition is handled through Activator. It's been awhile, I'll have to figure out the settings again.
thanx for the help. i have a car show this morning but should be home by noon central. call anytime after. ill check the link and rewire from there. is the fone connector plugged into the back of the radio? i dont remember seeing any plug just hanging there

Originally Posted by pfbz
32krazy, please be careful... Have you maybe tapped into a lighting circuit instead of switched ignition? NOT what you want, especially since the voltage varies on those circuits.

i used the hot lead from the rear wiper switch on the horseshoe. it was close and test lead showed power only with the key on

Might be time to get some assistance...

Last edited by 32krazy!; 08-03-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i used the hot lead from the rear wiper switch on the horseshoe. it was close and test lead showed power only with the key on
From looking at the schematics, no good. There are actually very few places you can pick up clean switched power from. The four connector 'phone plug' is by far the easiest... It usually is an unused connector behind the lower front console, where there often is a blank console pocket.

Again, be careful. It seems like you might be in just a bit over your head on this, and I don't want you to start frying wires and/or any of your electronic components. Do you have a service manual with a wiring diagram?

Last edited by pfbz; 08-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pfbz
From looking at the schematics, no good. There are actually very few places you can pick up clean switched power from. The four connector 'phone plug' is by far the easiest... It usually is an unused connector behind the lower front console, where there often is a blank console pocket.

Again, be careful. It seems like you might be in just a bit over your head on this, and I don't want you to start frying wires and/or any of your electronic components. Do you have a service manual with a wiring diagram?
ill hunt for the fone plug today. dont have a wiring schematic but prolly couldnt read it if i did. do my best to be careful but flying by the seat of my pants is what i do best!

found the phone plug and the switched power for it. (green wire) rechecked the settings and it seems to be much better! instant power on with the switch and shuts off completely with the key off. thanx pfbz!! props to you!

slopeslider i could still use a littlem help with the mini software setup. would like to see my albums artwork in full screen like yours. reset the dimm setting so i have that squared away

Last edited by 32krazy!; 08-04-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
ill hunt for the fone plug today. dont have a wiring schematic but prolly couldnt read it if i did. do my best to be careful but flying by the seat of my pants is what i do best!

found the phone plug and the switched power for it. (green wire) rechecked the settings and it seems to be much better! instant power on with the switch and shuts off completely with the key off. thanx pfbz!! props to you!

slopeslider i could still use a littlem help with the mini software setup. would like to see my albums artwork in full screen like yours. reset the dimm setting so i have that squared away
Glad you got it working. Double tap the album artwork nd it should got full screen.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
mbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud of
Okay, first off I think this an awesome mod, and I'd like to get started on this, however I have a couple questions to help get started the right way.

I have a 2001 with the stock PCM1, so I'm trying to locate a CDR-220 to swap into the location that the current nav cd slot sits. This seems like it should be pretty straight forward, I just need to make sure it has the serial number on it so I can have the guys at rennlist get me a radio code if one isn't provided with it.

Next, I've pulled my stock unit, and since I have a doubledin in there right now, I don't have the divider pictured below that is being used as a brace to hold the ipad mini in place. I'm having difficulty finding this part number, any help would be appreciated.

Finally, I have the wood trim, and my horseshoe comes apart in 3 pieces (left, right, top). I notice the instructions for trimming the back plastic area, and I'm just curious if my different horseshoe design would create a problem with this. I really don't want to put the plastic bezel in as it would look odd having the rest of the car still in wood.

Just curious about some of these questions/potential issues.

The back supporting divider I'm talking about can be seen in these pictures:

Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mbgt72
Okay, first off I think this an awesome mod, and I'd like to get started on this, however I have a couple questions to help get started the right way.

I have a 2001 with the stock PCM1, so I'm trying to locate a CDR-220 to swap into the location that the current nav cd slot sits. This seems like it should be pretty straight forward, I just need to make sure it has the serial number on it so I can have the guys at rennlist get me a radio code if one isn't provided with it.

Next, I've pulled my stock unit, and since I have a doubledin in there right now, I don't have the divider pictured below that is being used as a brace to hold the ipad mini in place. I'm having difficulty finding this part number, any help would be appreciated.

Finally, I have the wood trim, and my horseshoe comes apart in 3 pieces (left, right, top). I notice the instructions for trimming the back plastic area, and I'm just curious if my different horseshoe design would create a problem with this. I really don't want to put the plastic bezel in as it would look odd having the rest of the car still in wood.

Just curious about some of these questions/potential issues.

The back supporting divider I'm talking about can be seen in these pictures:

these are the numbers for the radio support shelf and the standard horseshoe. like the others i would get both and practice on the horseehoe. if you get the fit right you could work on the wood trim piece. much cheaper if you mess it up. autoatlanta, ebay and sonnen porsche all have the pieces you are looking for

worst case you could have the standard horseshoe hydro dipped in wood grain to match your interior

Old 08-05-2013, 03:29 PM
mbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud of
^ Thanks 32Crazy. And it was nice to meet you saturday. I was the new metallic black turbo owner you were talkin to a bit and showing your new ipad setup to. Made me decide to pull the trigger lol.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mbgt72
^ Thanks 32Crazy. And it was nice to meet you saturday. I was the new metallic black turbo owner you were talkin to a bit and showing your new ipad setup to. Made me decide to pull the trigger lol.
hi back!! also use the power source pfbz recommended. the fone plug (4 pin thats tucked down under the floor console . mine was tucked in on the drivers side. theres a constant power AND a switched power there along with a great ground source right there. mine was the green wire for switched and now my ipad comes on and off as soon as the key is turned.

dont forget 6.1.2 software only in order to jailbreak it

Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
I did this mod on a 2004...

1999-2001 have different center console parts and different cupholders than the 2002-2004. I don't think that just buying the 2004 horseshoe and radio support will solve your problem, as the air vents and cupholders are different as well.

I'd take the general idea of what I did in the first post and see if you can apply it to your configuration....

1999-2001:

2002-2004:

Attached Images   

Last edited by pfbz; 08-06-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Banned
with the mini turned on if i change the oem radio station i only get static. does the mini have to be powered off to get any local stations?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Banned
found the off for the mini thru cydia activator to power down the mini so i can listen to regular radio but how do i turn it back on? i could never find the NBsettings pfbz spoke of

Last edited by 32krazy!; 08-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
wow nice install!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by medcap
wow nice install!
Thx. I enjoy it every time I'm in the car! Biggest problem is deciding if I want to listen to Pandora, Slacker, or my own music collection on the iPad. I never bother with FM anymore!

Originally Posted by 32krazy
found the off for the mini thru cydia activator to power down the mini so i can listen to regular radio but how do i turn it back on?
32k, remember *my* install was directly to a replacement receiver with a USB port. Using the Scosche FM modulator interface with a stock radio is a different can of worms. Still my suggestion to do this with a replacement radio with a USB interface.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
found the off for the mini thru cydia activator to power down the mini so i can listen to regular radio but how do i turn it back on? i could never find the NBsettings pfbz spoke of
I'm not sure on that one. You maybe able to map a long press of the home button to serve as a power switch. I checked mine and I'm able to pick-up radio stations without cutting off the iPad.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
I'm not sure on that one. You maybe able to map a long press of the home button to serve as a power switch. I checked mine and I'm able to pick-up radio stations without cutting off the iPad.
thats how i was able to turn off the mini by using a long press thru cydia activator. unfortunately theres no provision to turn it back on. when the mini is on all i get is static on any other station. what station are you tuning the socsche cable to?

i thought i had the carpod figured out but it has reverted back to the original settings. the mechanical side of this was easy but the software side for a techno defunk like me is a a major pain!
i can see all the music thru itunes but the artwork is tiny and cant see it while driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]