Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
I like my jack pads from Matt... early RED model color--RED rules!!!

I have an 09 vantage and if I do not remove the o-rubber ring it does not always fit in correctly. So I take off the ring but saved them and put back on during non use.

Funny story that scared me recently...my son had the car jacked up as changing brakes...just about to take the wheel off and BANG...we thought the car fell...NOPE stupid me forgot to remove the rubber ring and car self fit itself... no damage except my pride.

Two things Aston should include with our cars---jack pads and battery tenders.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:31 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Post Platinum Auto Body

I stopped by today to see how my pre-spring repaint project is going.
The first item was removing the passenger side sill for scuff repair and primer:

Here's a photo of the skirt prior to removal showing the pre-existing scrap damage:

Now the part is repaired and primed for paint:

You will also notice I had them removal the rear valance from under the rear bumper which will also be painted Onyx Black. It was a pet peeve of mine that it was the only exterior part of the car in that silver grey colour, so I'm going with a monochromatic look instead:

More to come...

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-13-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Ryan. How do you know that the new Volvo fob will work on your car .
Will you have to get them “dealer programmed”

Old 04-06-2018, 04:10 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
Ryan. How do you know that the new Volvo fob will work on your car .
Will you have to get them “dealer programmed”
Correct they have to program the ECM to accept the key code of the new additional remote.
Based on previous owner's who have done this, as long as the fob has the key code the Volvo part number will work.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Post More bodywork pics...

You may remember I had the driver's side fender and side skirt painted last spring. This spring I'm also correcting the paint that lifted from the helicopter film removal.

Fixing this properly requires painting the rear quarter panel and while I'm at it the only panel left the the driver's side of the car (the door). Actually the paint will blend in the door to maximize colour match with the fender. I appreciate that they are using their most experienced pro for my Aston. Here are some pictures of the body prep with tail light, door handle, side mirror and window trim removed:

Since they have the interior door panel off, I dropped off the Premium Audio speaker so they can swap it out before reassembly (saving me extra work later)

They disconnected the battery when removing the door handle and now the engine won't crank over
No faults on the instrument cluster, and I get a red light on the starter button, so it's likely my dying starter solenoid instead of an alarm issue.
Anyways, I'll deal with that later once it's out of the paint booth.

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-13-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:11 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
So... has it been worth it?

Old 04-09-2018, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by MRCW
So... has it been worth it?

I'll reserve judgment until the final results are in
I want my Vantage to look the best it can for an example that is driven moderately.
I feel I owe that to the brand, its fans and myself as a "Car Guy".
This summer it will be cosmetically improved and I expect to receive many more of the "Is it new?" question wherever I go with it...

Old 04-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi Ryan....I admire you. You are a true car guy. This remodel is done from your heart knowing that the improvements will cost more than you will ever be able to recover. You should be proud.

If it makes you feel any better. I bet almost all of us that own an Aston Martin vantage have put money into our cars. If not modifications in general maintenance.

I was like you I purchased at a good price getting
$ 10000.00 off the price from a dealer that wanted it off the books that night in December 2016. But...we have put over $ 6000.00 into the car doing brakes etc...ourselves. I have not modified mine much yet as it is 09 and came with many upgrades bought by original owner.

Hey...keep up the great work...you are doing a wonderful job showing and explaining this project and giving all of us ideas.

I liked when you drove the car on vacation. I thought I was the only crazy person that used for fun for weeks at a time.

Keep up this great threat!!!

Best Regards--- Duke

Old 04-09-2018, 08:15 PM
buckarooboy will become famous soon enough
Hello Ryan. I am up the road in Toronto and am looking at purchasing an Aston. Recently saw an 07 in Oakville which I liked with 30k on it. If you have any thoughts on this model year, it would be appreciated. its a stick. Paul

Old 04-09-2018, 09:25 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Aldv
Hi Ryan....I admire you. You are a true car guy. This remodel is done from your heart knowing that the improvements will cost more than you will ever be able to recover. You should be proud.

If it makes you feel any better. I bet almost all of us that own an Aston Martin vantage have put money into our cars. If not modifications in general maintenance.

$ 10000.00 off the price from a dealer that wanted it off the books that night in December 2016. But...we have put over $ 6000.00 into the car doing brakes etc...ourselves. I have not modified mine much yet as it is 09 and came with many upgrades bought by original owner.

Hey...keep up the great work...you are doing a wonderful job showing and explaining this project and giving all of us ideas.

I liked when you drove the car on vacation. I thought I was the only crazy person that used for fun for weeks at a time.

Best Regards--- Duke
Well said...I'm looking forward to the final product.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:43 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aldv

Best Regards--- Duke
Thanks Duke, glad you've been enjoying the project since the beginning.
I do prefer the "pay as you go" model over paying top dollar and watching it depreciate.
Project cars can be addictive though, as I proved putting $35k of parts into a $2k Fiero - but the time spent building it with my son was priceless.
I'm not complaining about the Aston costs as most of it are things I want, not what I really need.

Working on a project keeps me interested and I end up keeping those cars much longer than I would have otherwise (in order to recoup the investment of my time and money via additional enjoyment).

In my mind a used Vantage is a great value and I'm sure there's lots of members on this forum that agree

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 04-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Welcome to the forum Paul

Originally Posted by buckarooboy
Hello Ryan. I am up the road in Toronto and am looking at purchasing an Aston. Recently saw an 07 in Oakville which I liked with 30k on it. If you have any thoughts on this model year, it would be appreciated. its a stick. Paul
My suggestion is to view several within the model years of your planned budget. You will know what you like and don't like once you see and try more than one.
Since you are asking my opinion on 2007 (which I went with):
  • Personally I did not like the one-year only seats in the 2006
  • I didn't care for the console armrest (with a manual trans) in the 2008 but I liked the removal of the roof antenna
  • The 2009 was over my wife's budget set for me so I tried avoiding them, but they are very nice
  • The 2007 Model Year is the most common with the highest production (that could be positive or negative depending on the topic)
  • 30k is a nice mileage to get - much lower and I'd expect potential issues from non-use
  • Yes go 6-speed Manual transmission if you can.

Check the sticky posts or do a search for details on the list of differences by model year.
Good luck with your search (resist the temptation to rush it) and let us know if/when you become an owner.

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-09-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Post Happy to report panels were painted this week...

Stopped by again today to see that paint base and clear is done and reassembly will be completed soon.
Next week they will be wet sanding up to 5000 grit then buffing and polishing entire body.

Here are some pics from this morning. They were embarrassed by how much dust is showing on the paint currently, but hey this is a body shop and I've got Onyx Black. I never give them notice of when I'm coming by to take pictures of the progress, so I've seen everything and chatted with the guys doing the work every step of the way:

Side Skirt:

Front passenger bumper (curb scrap from Virginia Beach) repaired and painted:

Ring scratches are gone with repainted handle (yes that's what they look like removed):

I had them just partially remove the skirt for painting quarter panel and trim is going back on nicely:

I am liking the rear lower valance in black:

I've been watching this XK (feels like a distant relative to my Vantage) get some TLC over the last few visits too:

My timeline goal is to get the Aston back on the road in time to attend the Aston Martin Owners Club Spring Drive in Ann Arbor, Michigan Sunday April 22nd!
Wish me luck as it's going to be close

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-13-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:58 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 007V8Vantage
My timeline goal is to get the Aston back on the road in time to attend the Aston Martin Owners Club Spring Drive in Ann Arbor, Michigan Sunday April 22nd!
Wish me luck as it's going to be close
It might not be the work time that's the issue - have you looked at the weather forecast? got snow tires for the V8V?

Old 04-14-2018, 09:18 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
cars coming together ,looking good Ryan......this next week looks crap for weather here in southern ontario, ive just finished a
service on my v8v, now chomping at the bit to drive it. grrrrr

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada